Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
First my specs:
i7 4790 3.6 ghz (not overclocked)
R9 290x 4gb
AsRock Fatality Z97 X Killer series
Win 7 64 bit

Now to my issue.
After 5 min of use, without warning, I suddenly get a bluescreen (don't ask me what it said. It was too quick to read) and my computer keeps turning on and off all the time. I waited for a few minutes after I managed to turn it off and tried to turn it on again but it keeps turning on and off all the time. No screen, nothing. The GPU fans run at full throttle for that few seconds before it turns it self off again.
The computer is not hot and was not hot prior of use as I did not play any games after I have started my computer. The day before it ran smoothly. Didn't notice any issues or strange behaviour. My first thought was that it was my GPU again but I have fixed the issue after I have added thermos paste on the chip and since then everything was going well for the few weeks I had this overheating issue.
I even waited for over an hour. Turned the power off on the PSU to be sure the computer wont start itself. Unfortunately no success. Keeps turning on and off over and over.

Now I'm not sure if it's my GPU or Win it self. I really can't afford a new computer now.
The question is, would a new hard drive fix the issue or a new GPU?
If I get a new hard drive, obviously it would be a SSD one but the only ones I know are portable. Obviously I would get win 10 and I found out I can get the setup and put it on a USB stick. Never done that before as I always used to install from a disc. And even I don't have to buy a key to activate win 10 as it would find the key I use for win 7.

I have no idea what is going on here. I really need my computer for work as my laptop is not powerful enough for it. If I need a SSD, which ones can I get? I live in Australia, so a link to PC Case Gear would help.
The same for a GPU.

Thanks.

Solution
Before we jump on the motherboard we can try one last thing. Disconnect everything from the motherboard except the bare essentials, memory CPU etc, and then try to power it on. There is a chance a faulty power switch or USB header could cause the issue.

If its the board for sure you will be very hard pressed to find a new Z97 board as its many generations out and will be most likely looking to replace board, CPU and memory.
One of the best things about Intels mainstream is that almost all CPUs have a built in GPU. I would pull your GPU and boot the PC. If it loads normally then we can make the assumption that the GPU is faulty. If it acts the same then the GPU would most likely not be the culprit.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
One of the best things about Intels mainstream is that almost all CPUs have a built in GPU. I would pull your GPU and boot the PC. If it loads normally then we can make the assumption that the GPU is faulty. If it acts the same then the GPU would most likely not be the culprit.

Took the GPU out but the computer still continues turning on and off all the time. So I take it it has to be the HDD.

i had a quick look on PC Case Gear and hope that these drives are more than capable to be build into a tower.
Samsung 860 EVO 2.5in SATA SSD 1TB
there is also a 4TB version of it.

USAFRet

Titan
Took the GPU out but the computer still continues turning on and off all the time. So I take it it has to be the HDD.

i had a quick look on PC Case Gear and hope that these drives are more than capable to be build into a tower.
No, it does NOT have to be the drive.

What was the last thing you did before this started?

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
No, it does NOT have to be the drive.

What was the last thing you did before this started?

Nothing. That is the weird thing. i did absolute nothing. It just ran for 5min after it started up. Normally.
The only thing, that was over a week ago as mentioned, was when I took out the GPU to put on some thermos on it because the GPU got really hot that it caused my computer to crash. Since then it ran fine and could do things as usual.

If it continues to do it then the best way to find out is to test each component individually.

I would look at the PSU next. If you have a spare, try it. If not see if you can get one or purchase one that can be returned if it turns out to not be the issue.

A PC power cycling could be many things but the hard drive is lower on the list.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
If it continues to do it then the best way to find out is to test each component individually.

I would look at the PSU next. If you have a spare, try it. If not see if you can get one or purchase one that can be returned if it turns out to not be the issue.

A PC power cycling could be many things but the hard drive is lower on the list.
Well, you are right about the hard drive. I still had an old one. I built it in and the problem is the same.

Don't have a spare PSU as I always got a new one that is compatible with the hardware at that time of assembly. Worth a shot to get a new one and see if this does the trick. Otherwise the motherboard could be a possibility as well.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
Alright. It's not the PSU. Computer continues turning on and off.
Now all is left is the motherboard. Any suggestions which one would be more than good enough for my CPU? May as well get a SSD and do a clean installation with win 10 on it. The ones I have mentioned further above should be fine I hope.

Before we jump on the motherboard we can try one last thing. Disconnect everything from the motherboard except the bare essentials, memory CPU etc, and then try to power it on. There is a chance a faulty power switch or USB header could cause the issue.

If its the board for sure you will be very hard pressed to find a new Z97 board as its many generations out and will be most likely looking to replace board, CPU and memory.

Solution

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014

I watched a video about this problem and the guy suggested to take out a RAM. I took out a random one and all of a sudden my computer started up.
I left the RAM out to see if my computer behaves. After no crashes whatsoever, I inserted it back again. Still no problems.
I hope this will fix the problem, but I know that eventually I have to upgrade. Which means new motherboard, CPU and GPU. Plus I want to get a SSD.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your help.