Question Computer turns on and runs fine, then displays shut off randomly

Jan 5, 2020
First off I'd like to apologize if I get anything wrong or forget to add something obvious this is my first time posting to any sort of help forum. I recently bought a pc from a friend and after his shotty at best water cooling leaked onto my 1060 I bought a 5700 XT from Gigabyte. Ever since then my monitors will shut themselves off without warning, I can hear my friends in Discord for a few and my spotify never stops playing music and will even continue the playlist like nothing is wrong. Unplugging and plugging the monitors back into the card do nothing so I'm forced to restart the pc. I was told it could be an issue with the PCIE 3.0 because of water damage but I can't use the PCIE 1.0(?) due to the size of the card and some cables in the way. This has been an ongoing issue for about a month now. The first thing I did was check drivers, I reinstalled and have updated every time there's a new update and issue still persists. I called Gigabyte themselves as I thought it was a heating issue at first because I didn't realize how hot AMD cards ran. The displays usually shut off when I'm in the middle of a game, but the game or what I'm doing don't seem to matter.

I have:
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: 32gb running at 3750mhz
Motherboard: ASRock X370 Killer
GPU: Radeon Rx 5700 XT

Anything would be appreciated at this time and if I forgot to add something that could help solve this issue please let me know, and thanks for taking the time to read this!

Last edited:
If water was leaked onto the graphics card, then it was leaked onto the motherboard as well. Chances are good the motherboard needs to be replaced. Obviously, it's hard to say anything for certain since there are no absolute test procedures for motherboards and you pretty well have to simply eliminate everything else first but there is really nothing else that would affect the display in that way other than the CPU and the motherboard.

Did you buy the 5700 XT new or used?

What is the EXACT model of your power supply AND how many years has it been in service?

Have you tried removing all the RAM and running only one stick (And then swap it out for other sticks in the same slot if the problem remains) in the second slot over from the CPU socket to see if possibly it's a memory module issue? Memory could potentially have been affected as well.

Also, since I would like to ASSUME you replaced the "shoddy" CPU cooler, what did you replace it WITH and have you checked to make sure that it is evenly mounted. Not tighter or looser on one side or corner than any other? That can affect a variety of things and can act as though you have bent CPU pins on the CPU/motherboard in some cases.

Have you checked both ends of the display cables to verify they are in fact FULLY seated AND that there are no bent pins on either end of the cables?

Tried gently bending the cables all along the length to determine if you can manually cause the loss of display due to damaged wiring INSIDE the cable insulation somewhere along it's length?

Tried only ONE monitor, to see if it happens with only one connected?

Finally, have you used the DDU to completely remove all trace of the Nvidia drivers, then ran it AGAIN to remove all trace of the AMD drivers, and THEN performed a clean install of the latest AMD drivers?