[SOLVED] Computer turns on but no display

Appleid2

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
I recently upgraded my cpu from a Ryzen 1600x to a Ryzen 3600 that’s the only thing I changed but now when I press the power button everything starts up but the display does not, I only unplugged the cpu and the cup water cooler, anybody know what’s goin on?

Solution
It's new, I'd reinstall. Just only use the OS drive connected, unplug any others.

Kmode error is almost always when there's applications that are overwritting each other's memory and windows can't tell what's what, so gets confused and you get bsod. Because of the bios update to get the cpu recognised, that also includes updated memory parameters for the 3rd gen cpus.

You could try disable 'fast startup' in bios, that sometimes works to solve things by giving windows the extra time to think things through and rearrange/fix itself, but often as not just starting over solves more. Just be aware that if you do a full clean install it'll also wipe out the chipset drivers too, a repair usually doesn't.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Did you fully update the bios, using multiple steps and the necessary media package from a 2nd Gen bios to a 3rd gen bios before sticking the new cpu in? Because if bios isn't updated correctly you'll end up with a 1st gen bios with a 3rd gen number.

Open your bios. Top left it'll give you your current bios revision. Write that down.
Goto motherboard website and look up the bios for your exact motherboard. Scroll down until you find the revision you have now. Then start reading the notes upwards to see if there's any steps to be taken, like upgrade to 'X' bios, then upgrade media package, then upgrade to 'Y' bios etc. Follow that in order until you get to current bios.

After that, you should be good. It's not a hardware issue, or anything broke, it's just the info in the bios isn't new enough to contain the list of recognized cpus, it has no idea what a 3600 is.

Last edited:
Reactions: kwikgta

Appleid2

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
Did you fully update the bios, using multiple steps and the necessary media package from a 2nd Gen bios to a 3rd gen bios before sticking the new cpu in? Because if bios isn't updated correctly you'll end up with a 1st gen bios with a 3rd gen number.

Open your bios. Top left it'll give you your current bios revision. Write that down.
Goto motherboard website and look up the bios for your exact motherboard. Scroll down until you find the revision you have now. Then start reading the notes upwards to see if there's any steps to be taken, like upgrade to 'X' bios, then upgrade media package, then upgrade to 'Y' bios etc. Follow that in order until you get to current bios.

After that, you should be good. It's not a hardware issue, or anything broke, it's just the info in the bios isn't new enough to contain the list of recognized cpus, it has no idea what a 3600 is.

so I am not very good with PCs so I might need some more help,
I got my bios version ( E7A34AMS.M40)
Which has a 09/20/2017 build date

if I download the latest bios update and install it will it support the new 3600 that I have or will I need to do more than just that?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Probably more.

You have a brand motherboard like Asus or Gigabyte etc. You'd go to their website and under Support will be the bios files. 2017 is old, there'll be 8 ish or maybe more bios updates since then.

So you scroll down until you find yours then start reading up. At E7A34AMS.M47 it might say needs media package update before install. So you'd go back to Support and under Drivers you'll see the media package. Install that then dl and install E7A34AMS.M47. After that, keep reading and you'll see if there's anything further, if not then you can install the latest. You are just looking to see if a newer version requires anything older installed first.

It'd be like you having G3 and need G10, but first G10 needs G5 installed first.

Appleid2

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
Probably more.

You have a brand motherboard like Asus or Gigabyte etc. You'd go to their website and under Support will be the bios files. 2017 is old, there'll be 8 ish or maybe more bios updates since then.

So you scroll down until you find yours then start reading up. At E7A34AMS.M47 it might say needs media package update before install. So you'd go back to Support and under Drivers you'll see the media package. Install that then dl and install E7A34AMS.M47. After that, keep reading and you'll see if there's anything further, if not then you can install the latest. You are just looking to see if a newer version requires anything older installed first.

It'd be like you having G3 and need G10, but first G10 needs G5 installed first.

So i downloaded and installed the latest bios for my MB, I installed the 3600 but the pc still would only turn on but thered still be no display

so should i reinstall the old bios and update it from there, or should i do something else, i legit have no clue what im doing here, may even call Geek Squad cause i dont wanna mess anything up

Appleid2

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
Probably more.

I finally got the computer to boot with the new CPU, now I have ran into another issue, I keep getting 2 BSOD “Blue Screen of Death” errors and it’s and endless loop of the computer restarting and booting itself back to BSOD “rinse and repeat”

Errors are
Kmode exception not handled
System thread not handled

what does this mean and how do I fix it? Or should I simply just reinstall Windows 10 as a whole?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's new, I'd reinstall. Just only use the OS drive connected, unplug any others.

Kmode error is almost always when there's applications that are overwritting each other's memory and windows can't tell what's what, so gets confused and you get bsod. Because of the bios update to get the cpu recognised, that also includes updated memory parameters for the 3rd gen cpus.

You could try disable 'fast startup' in bios, that sometimes works to solve things by giving windows the extra time to think things through and rearrange/fix itself, but often as not just starting over solves more. Just be aware that if you do a full clean install it'll also wipe out the chipset drivers too, a repair usually doesn't.

Last edited:
Solution