Computer turns ON but no signal for display.

senithdr

Reputable
Sep 11, 2015
I had this problem before as well but I fixed it by removing the CMOS battery or removing one RAM or just holding the power button for 10s or just restating couple of times...

So I disconnected all peripherals (All HDDs except boot drive, DVD), then removed the cmos battery waited about 15 mins, then re-connected the battery. Tried starting the PC again no signal but it turns on completely..

Then I removed the PCI-GPU and connected the cable to the iGPU, then it worked...
So I completely removed the Nvidia drivers, restarted still working..

Then I connected the PCI-GPU again, again no signal

Did this back and forth (I mean changing from iGPU and ) couple of times.. Then time GPU started giving signal so I reinstalled Nvidia drivers and all started working fine...

Then I shut down the computer to re-connect drives I disconnected. Tried to boot, again the same problem no signal. but iGPU gives signal..

In all the above scenarios BIOS is set to PCIx Card only setting, so it's not that

My GPU works, Motherboard alone works, Cable works, Monitor works, other peripherals works..

What is your idea about this? Please help thanks :)

Solution
Yeah the monitor going in to standby mode was what I experienced with my rig too, it doesnt show "no signal". It's inconsistent as hell, sometimes able to boot up then tomorrow it doesnt anymore. After I replaced both sticks of RAM the problem was gone, that's why I suggest you to test your RAM sticks first without the GPU in. It's possible that it's not your GPU but RAM/mobo RAM slots faulty.

Can also try with VGA cable instead of DVI to see if the cable is faulty but it's more unlikely.

Hope you're able to pinpoint the component and get it replaced, cos a stable computer should be able to boot reliably everytime.

dfk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
Try your GPU in another computer and see if it's really the GPU causing no signal. If you cant test the RAM without iGPU first.

Try using only 1 RAM only and memtest it first on all slots for at least 3 pass, then other sticks, then together.

I had this no signal problem and thought it was my monitor/gpu/mobo but problem fixed after changing ram sticks.

senithdr

Reputable
Sep 11, 2015

Thanks for the quick reply,

Yeah I'm currently figuring out a way to test my GPU since I don't have another desktop..

I tried removing and inserting rams in different configs, it had sometimes worked before but, not this time.. But in any config computer works fine with the iGPU..

BTW I mean by no signal is monitor going to standby mode like it does when we turn off the pc.. not like we disconnect the cable..

dfk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
Yeah the monitor going in to standby mode was what I experienced with my rig too, it doesnt show "no signal". It's inconsistent as hell, sometimes able to boot up then tomorrow it doesnt anymore. After I replaced both sticks of RAM the problem was gone, that's why I suggest you to test your RAM sticks first without the GPU in. It's possible that it's not your GPU but RAM/mobo RAM slots faulty.

Can also try with VGA cable instead of DVI to see if the cable is faulty but it's more unlikely.

Hope you're able to pinpoint the component and get it replaced, cos a stable computer should be able to boot reliably everytime.

Solution

senithdr

Reputable
Sep 11, 2015

I think RAM/Mobo is the case ... Because now even without the PCIE GPU it doesn't start, and it's worse.. Even with no other peripherals connected my computer rapidly turn on and off.. I mean when I turn on it just turns on gives one short beep turns off it again turns itself on do the same thing then off.. Does this over and over until I force it off..

But if I remove both RAMs it gives the no RAM beep, either of RAM installed does the above thing.

So I now I narrowed it down to RAM or Mobo

TRENDING THREADS