Question computer turns on but nothing displays

helpmeyikes

Reputable
Feb 4, 2018
i bought a pre built xps 8940 from dell a little over a year ago and have had no real problems until recently. i left the computer on for a few hours and it went into sleep mode, when i tried to wake it up i got no response and had to shut if off with the power button. now when i turn it on all the lights and fans turn on, mouse and keyboard turn on but dont respond and i get no display of anything at all, no bios or anything. no led diagnostic lights flash either. im using and hdmi which ive tested to make sure have no problems along with the monitor, ive also tried using 2 different tvs and cables which also didnt work.

Specs:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5- 10400
GPU: GTX 1660 SUPER
RAM: 2x8 ddr4
PSU: 360W Night Sky Bezel Chassis
SSD

from what ive read online my guess would be the psu, but as i have no way to test it i wanted some other opinions before i try buying any replacements. ive tried resetting the cmos battery, using a single different good ram stick, starting without the gpu or ssd, and still nothing shows up.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU (especially if only 360 watts) and I am not sure at all about the branding.

You can do some testing if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it. Or know someone who does.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of tolerance make the PSU suspect.

You did not mention it but will the pre-built boot into Safe Mode?

If so, take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some errors just before or at the time of any failures that occur.

If at all possible try swapping in a known working PSU with a higher wattage rating.

How "higher"?

Start here and apply the calculators:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

TRENDING THREADS