Computer turns on for about 5 minutes then starts to rattle then turns off and reboot.

Nov 18, 2018
Let me preface by saying the only tools I have is a screw driver, I don't have access to a multimeter to check any of the components on the motherboard.

My computer has been running fine for the past few years, I initially built it back in 2014. I decided to do a quick cleanup on the inside of my case, removing dust etc and reapplying some thermal paste to my cpu. I have a corsair H80i all in one, to cool my i7 4770k, it's not overclocked at all. I normally have 2 fans on the AIO, in push & pull configuration, but I decided to change it to just push air out to see how it would fare. So afterwards, I check if all my connections inside are secure before putting the case back together and turning on my PC. At first everything appears to be fine and dandy, nothing looks or sounds alarming at first glance. I decide to check how the temps are on bootup, with some programs starting up, I was alarmed to see my cpu temp hover around 90C.
I sit and wait for it to go back down, but it only ever goes down to around 83C, thats after everything has finished starting, skype, rainmeter, malwarebytes, plex, emby and some other misc programs. Then I start to hear a low rattle, near the cpu on my motherboard, and then my PC turns off on it's own and starts to reboot itself.

I figure if I put the AIO back in push and pull configuration it should go back to normal, I have not tried this yet. After attempting to see if there'd be any difference from a few tries at rebooting and seeing if it would normalize, I got pretty anxious and decided to write up this help request on here.

Should I just put the AIO back the way I had it? Or is there anything else I could do to help resolve this? If there's any other detail I can provide to help you better assist me, please let me know. I spent a good hour fiddling around and may have omitted some details that I can't remember the order of, but I'll list some stuff that i do remember.

-On first initial boot up, after removing dust and changing Fan Configuration, I got an error from the megatrends boot up screen saying, cpu fan error

-I remedied above problem by switching one of my chasis fans with the fan I had on the AIO

-Realized I plugged in fan into wrong header on the motherboard in first bullet above, made sure to plug in fan in correct fan header on motherboard.

-Can't really think of anything else that might be significant, so I'll leave a list of my components:

*Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
*Three Noctua 120mm Fans
*i7 4770k base clock
*GTX 770

Update #1, I've removed both panels of my case and booted into the bios to observe my cpu temps. I'm writing this as I observe it, initially it started out at 39C, I'm watching it climb it's at about 70C now, it doesn't seem to be stabilizing at all, it keeps climbing. It was nearing 80C again so I cut the power. I think I'm going to reapply the thermal paste again. Will update after I do this.

Update #1.5, TBH I'm feeling a bit bummed out, just gonna leave my pc alone for tonight, and work on it tomorrow when I have a clearer head and state of mind.

Solution
Sounds like you either have an air bubble in the system and the pump is UNABLE to overcome the air lock or the pump has failed. Or you failed to correctly plug the pump back in to the correct header. Likely there is an air bubble or the pump has failed.

Even if you can "feel" the pump motor turning, it's not uncommon for the pump motor to become uncoupled from the pump blades impeller and therefore not be actually pumping anything even though the motor itself is turning.

First thing I'd probably try some of the ideas here. Rotating the arrangement, and this will sound funny, but sort of tilting the entire unit so that the radiator is either higher or lower than it is now, might clear out the air and allow the pump to resume normal...
Sounds like you either have an air bubble in the system and the pump is UNABLE to overcome the air lock or the pump has failed. Or you failed to correctly plug the pump back in to the correct header. Likely there is an air bubble or the pump has failed.

Even if you can "feel" the pump motor turning, it's not uncommon for the pump motor to become uncoupled from the pump blades impeller and therefore not be actually pumping anything even though the motor itself is turning.

First thing I'd probably try some of the ideas here. Rotating the arrangement, and this will sound funny, but sort of tilting the entire unit so that the radiator is either higher or lower than it is now, might clear out the air and allow the pump to resume normal operation. I wouldn't leave it for long though if the temps are that high. If it doesn't drop pretty quick, you probably might need a new cooler. If that cooler is more than two years old, I would not be surprised if it has a pump problem that nothing will fix.

Solution
Nov 18, 2018

Earlier today I even looked up the life span of an AIO cooling unit, I am nearing the 5 year mark, and it does make sense that, that's what I've been hearing the rattling come from. Thankyou very much for your time to help me, this has definitely cheered me up a bit. I'll update as soon as I've tried the method you've proposed. I definitely was not looking forward to replacing my motherboard or cpu, replacing an AIO is easier to stomach.