Question Computer turns on, monitor turns on, displays nothing, VGA light on mboard is on

Jan 16, 2020
Hello everyone,

I recently built a PC that worked flawlessly for about 6 months, then suddenly stopped displaying anything when powered up (the monitor does turn on). The specs are:

MSI X470 GAMING PLUS AM4 AMD X470 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 GV-N1080TTOC-8GD 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support ATX Turbo OC Video Card

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3, 220-G3-0750-X1 ECO Power Supply

Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB)

AMD Ryzen 7 2700x CPU

The VGA light on the motherboard was on, so the first thing I tried was reseating the GPU and power cables, but no dice. I have also tried:
a) moving the GPU into another PCI slot (x8 rather than x16): this did nothing
b) using a friend's old Nvidia GTX1050 in both the x16 slot and the x8 slot: it never worked in the x16 slot, worked the first time I tried it in the x8 slot, but hasn't worked since
c) using a different VGA slot in the PSU - also nothing.

My graphics card worked fine in my fiancee's computer. What are my next diagnosis steps? Is this likely to be a motherboard issue? Thanks!

Bassplate

Reputable
Hello everyone,

I recently built a PC that worked flawlessly for about 6 months, then suddenly stopped displaying anything when powered up (the monitor does turn on). The specs are:

MSI X470 GAMING PLUS AM4 AMD X470 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 GV-N1080TTOC-8GD 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support ATX Turbo OC Video Card

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3, 220-G3-0750-X1 ECO Power Supply

Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB)

AMD Ryzen 7 2700x CPU

The VGA light on the motherboard was on, so the first thing I tried was reseating the GPU and power cables, but no dice. I have also tried:
a) moving the GPU into another PCI slot (x8 rather than x16): this did nothing
b) using a friend's old Nvidia GTX1050 in both the x16 slot and the x8 slot: it never worked in the x16 slot, worked the first time I tried it in the x8 slot, but hasn't worked since
c) using a different VGA slot in the PSU - also nothing.

My graphics card worked fine in my fiancee's computer. What are my next diagnosis steps? Is this likely to be a motherboard issue? Thanks!
Hi There :benetton:
I would say try booting up your system without the Graphics card connected and see if your Bios didn't reset itself...Sometimes it does(Mostly an electricity short on plugs or something...sometimes just from changing hardware)The reset would change your PCI chipset to defaults.
Bios reset would be set on PCI and not PCI Express(As PCI Express is the primary slot for your graphics card)
Sometimes To do a Bios reset itself works for startup and Bootup situations...
Another thing that could cause Bios from not loading or Screen that displays nothing could be your RAM itself..you can try booting your Bios only using one RAM Stick per time and per Slot and....Use One 8GB ram chip then the other one.
And yes it could be the motherboard itself or Faulty CMOS battery as well