[SOLVED] Computer turns on, no display/peripheral LEDs

Jun 29, 2020
When I switch the computer on, the LEDs/fans work but there is no output to the monitor. When I plug the keyboard in, it lights up for a second but then the LEDs turn off (whereas normally the lights would stay on).

The problems started yesterday, I switched the computer on but the computer wasn't displaying anything on the HDMI plugged into the GPU (monitor couldn't find a signal). However, it began working when I plugged a DP cable into the GPU and then there no problems for the rest of the day (including when I turned the computer off/restarted it numerous times throughout the day).

I switched the PSU off last night (without unplugging the power cable, in case that's relevant) and switched it back on in the morning. When I switched the computer on, the computer wasn't displaying anything and the DP port no longer worked.

I've tried:
  • Removing the GPU, nothing outputted on motherboard HDMI port (or when using USB-C to DP adapter).
  • Resetting the CMOS battery.
  • Trying to turn the computer on with either RAM stick connected at a time.
  • Using a different monitor.
  • Holding power button for 60 seconds whilst power cable is removed.
  • Reseating various cables/connectors.

The specs are below:

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B450 PLUS ATX Motherboard. PCIe 3.0, M.2, DDR4, HDMI, DVI-D, Aura Sync RGB
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x (8 Core 16 Thread. 36MB Cache, 4.4 GHZ Max Boost)
CPU Cooler: AMD Prism Wraith Series CPU Cooler
RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 16GB 3200MHz C16 XMP2.0
Graphics Card: MSI Geforce RTX 2070 Super Ventus GP OC
Storage 1: TCSUNBOW 1TB 2.5 INCH SSD SATAIII 6GB/s up to 560MB/s with 1024M Cache
Storage 2: 1TB SEAGATE 3.5" SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM (64MB + 8GB SSD CACHE)
Power Supply: TX650M Semi-Modular ATX PSU - 650 W
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Case

Solution
If the test gpu dosn't work in either pcie slot when you get it, I would say it's the motherboard. However, my money is on the gpu . I had a similar problem as you with my gpu, it wouldnt produce a signal to the monitor. All lights, fans working but no signal. What I did do was replug the pcie power connectors and kind of wiggled them after inserting them, then restarted the computer.. Fixed the problem. You may want to try the same thing.
Jun 29, 2020
Have you tried putting the gpu in to the other pcie slot? The motherboard video won't work because the Amd processor doesn't have on board graphics. Do you have an old gpu sitting around that you can try to make sure its the gpu and not the motherboard?

I completely missed that the CPU has no integrated graphics, I've ordered a cheap GPU in order to see if the 2070S is the causing the problem. I've tried the other PCI-E slot and no changes.

If the GPU isn't what's wrong, would you suspect the motherboard is faulty?

If the test gpu dosn't work in either pcie slot when you get it, I would say it's the motherboard. However, my money is on the gpu . I had a similar problem as you with my gpu, it wouldnt produce a signal to the monitor. All lights, fans working but no signal. What I did do was replug the pcie power connectors and kind of wiggled them after inserting them, then restarted the computer.. Fixed the problem. You may want to try the same thing.

Solution
Jun 29, 2020

Thank you for your help, although I ended up replacing the motherboard in the end and the issue is resolved. I think the PCIE slots were temperamental in the old mobo (the button that you press to remove the GPU was flimsy), so it may very well have been a case of doing what you said, but I wanted to play it safe.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch