Question Computer Turns On, no video

markiscool57

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
**EDIT***
Upon testing each of my Dram modules, I disovered that one of them have gone bad and now my computer is running again! Always test your memory even if it is enough module in the system that has failed!
Before I list the problem here are the specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: none, it died
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case
memory: 2 X 8gb corsair vengeance
Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

This is my old build, a computer that has been gathering dust for a year. The only reason I stopped using it was because the graphics card died (GTX 980 ti), and when this happened, the computer would no longer turn on. I assume it died due to either a short circuit, or just too much heat. I know it is the graphics card that died because when I would turn the computer on with it in, nothing would happen, no lights, no fans, no power. Upon removing the graphics card, the computer will turn on, lights on the motherboard turn on (solid red light at the top right, no label but manual suggests it's nothing, solid green light at the bottom for pwr), however the fans come on at max speed and I receive no video output.

Here are a list of things I have tried to fix the problem:
  • Remove CMOS bat, hold power button, reinstall --> no change
  • try a gpu --> no change
  • swap power supply --> no change
  • swap CPU --> no change
  • reseat memory/CPU --> no change
  • reseat every single cable on the MB --> no change
The only notable thing to have happen to this computer is that it was infected with malware about a month before it died, however I did countless scans with malwarbytes, AVG, avast, and windows defender and all of which said nothing was found (Malwarebytes found the malware originally, and got rid of it). If any of you have any thoughts to this situation, it would be heavily appreciated.

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You have no functioning graphics card, and at some point you did try to boot up with none installed. You also did replace the battery and reset to default BIOS configuration, I believe. Now, this board supports a CPU with integrated graphics, which your CPU chip does have. So I would expect that the default BIOS setting would start by assuming it should use that integrated graphics feature. Especially if it then were booted with no graphics card installed, it probably set itself for that option.

So, with NO graphics card installed, have you tried the system with your monitor fed from the HDMI socket on the REAR PANEL of the MOBO, not from a graphics card? Does that show anything on the monitor?

markiscool57

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
You have no functioning graphics card, and at some point you did try to boot up with none installed. You also did replace the battery and reset to default BIOS configuration, I believe. Now, this board supports a CPU with integrated graphics, which your CPU chip does have. So I would expect that the default BIOS setting would start by assuming it should use that integrated graphics feature. Especially if it then were booted with no graphics card installed, it probably set itself for that option.

So, with NO graphics card installed, have you tried the system with your monitor fed from the HDMI socket on the REAR PANEL of the MOBO, not from a graphics card? Does that show anything on the monitor?
Yes, I have to leave the graphics card out for it to boot, the card is definitely dead, with it installed the system won't even spin the fans (they do, but for about second). The hdmi is connected to the mobo.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With the age of that board, it's entirely possible that a cap has failed, especially if it was run hot, which many were, due to lack of understanding about thermals and their importance back then. I'd do a really in depth magnifying glass type inspection of the board, look for any swelling of caps, split tops, discoloration etc.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With the age of that board, it's entirely possible that a cap has failed, especially if it was run hot, which many were, due to lack of understanding about thermals and their importance back then. I'd do a really in depth magnifying glass type inspection

markiscool57

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
With the age of that board, it's entirely possible that a cap has failed, especially if it was run hot, which many were, due to lack of understanding about thermals and their importance back then. I'd do a really in depth magnifying glass type inspection
I did a thorough inspection of all capacitors with my limited knowledge of what I am looking for, everything seems to be fine. Do you think doing a mobo swap would bring it back to life? I know the rest of the components are cheap but so are LGA 1150 mobo's right now (used). Maybe when the graphics card went it took some of the mobo with it?