Computer Turns on, off then back on after turning back on the PSU

johnyiwt

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
Hi there,

I'm not sure where this belongs, but I think it belongs in the memory section.

It's not common, but when I clean the inside of my computer or try to add new hardware I have the PSU off. Whenever I turn it back on, the computer will boot up and shut down then boot up again. Everything is good and working proper, no signs of random shut downs or restarts.

I'm not sure if this was after I installed 3200mhz Trident Z RGB 4x16GB RAM and enabled XMP profile.

I have the latest BIOS for my mobo and the RAM speed/clock do not have any issues. They run perfectly fine at 3200mhz.

This issue occurs whenever the PSU is off and back on. It doesn't happen when it's on and I boot up the computer.

Can anyone tell me what the issue, if it is even an issue at all? I have also heard that sometimes there are mobos that check for power or something before it actually boots? Is this my case? I have found some info on it here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?49641-Maximus-VII-Ranger-Cold-boot-issue-Turns-on-then-off-then-boots

I just would like someone to confirm to remove my anxiety :/.

Specs:

i7-7700k
Maximus IX Code
4x16GB 3200 Mhz Trident z RGB
EVGA 1080TI FTW3 Hybrid
samsung ssd 500gb
HDD 1TB 7200 RPM
6 PWM fans (if this makes a difference)
750W Supernova T2

Solution
Often times the XMP needs to have the system reboot for the option to take effect. At the first boot, it's at stock clocks while on the second, it's the overclocks applied. On some other board manufacturers, like EVGA for example the capacitors need to be charged up which is why they seem to boot twice after the system's PSU's is switched on/system is powered up.

You could try and forgo XMP and manually input the timings, frequency and voltage for your ram in BIOS. Also see if flashing the BIOS changes your experience.

Moved to System's section.
Lutfij

Lutfij

Titan
Often times the XMP needs to have the system reboot for the option to take effect. At the first boot, it's at stock clocks while on the second, it's the overclocks applied. On some other board manufacturers, like EVGA for example the capacitors need to be charged up which is why they seem to boot twice after the system's PSU's is switched on/system is powered up.

You could try and forgo XMP and manually input the timings, frequency and voltage for your ram in BIOS. Also see if flashing the BIOS changes your experience.

Moved to System's section.
Lutfij

Solution