Computer turns on then off, turns back on and boots normally.

The Phoenix

Distinguished
May 24, 2014
For a while my computer will attempt to power on, and turns off right away. Then it starts back up again and boots normally and works fine. It's been doing this ever since i got this computer (3 yrs). I never got around to figuring out what was going on with it, I wasn't sure if the PSU was going or anything else. This is a Pre-Built Dell XPS. Intel i7 975 extreme edition. I got this computer for free so I don't mind that it's a pre-built system. Anyways. Any suggestions to what the issue is?

Solution
what your seeing is the mb and cpu at post trying to set the ram speed and it failing. so the cpu and mb reboot (over clock recovery). the cpu and mb set another speed and try to post if the speed is good the mb will stop it reboot and post fine. on standard mb non dell this issue shows up when people use fast ram and forget to turn on intel xmp profile or they mix two set of ram with diffrent speeds. with the dell bios that does not have all of the same bios settings as a stock mb. use cpu-z read the ram part number and speeds that the mb has set. google the part numbers off all the ram see if there all the same ram in size and speed. if not you can keep the pc as it is or swap in same ram see if it stops. in the bios see if there xmp...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
MERGED QUESTION
Question from The Phoenix : "Computer powers on, no display or motherboard beep."

what your seeing is the mb and cpu at post trying to set the ram speed and it failing. so the cpu and mb reboot (over clock recovery). the cpu and mb set another speed and try to post if the speed is good the mb will stop it reboot and post fine. on standard mb non dell this issue shows up when people use fast ram and forget to turn on intel xmp profile or they mix two set of ram with diffrent speeds. with the dell bios that does not have all of the same bios settings as a stock mb. use cpu-z read the ram part number and speeds that the mb has set. google the part numbers off all the ram see if there all the same ram in size and speed. if not you can keep the pc as it is or swap in same ram see if it stops. in the bios see if there xmp profile or default speed. if the ram is mixed set the ram to slowest speed.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS