Computer turns on then shuts off after 1 second

Aug 18, 2018
I recently just built my pc and when I turned it on all my fans started and the motherboard lights up for about 1 second and it all shuts off when I take the processor out it works fine and when I put a friends i7-8700k into my mobo the computer ran perfect. I assumed it was a bad processor at that point and sent it back. Today I got my new processor installed it and it does the same thing.

Specs:
i5-8600k
Gtx 1060
Msi z370 gaming plus
Two 4gb white Corsair vengeance ram
Evga 750w gold 80* power supply

Aug 18, 2018
Side note: I do not think that it is my motherboard considering the other processor worked fine. There were a lot of threads on this type of thing except for their problem was they usually had a z270 instead of a z370 in my case I do have the right processor

Aug 18, 2018
Sorry that I down voted your comment I haven’t used this before so i didn’t know how to reply but I have not checked for any bent pins because the i7 worked so I assumed that there’s no way there are any bent pins but I will check in about 5 minutes

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
lol. I've done that on accident before too.. A slightly bent pin can cause intermittent results. It's worth checking for. You might also look for a bios update, though it would be strange that it could run an 8700 but not an 8600.

Aug 18, 2018
I still really don’t know how to reply to your awnser but anyways. I am looking at the socket now and it’s really hard to tell what I’m looking for nothing looks to out of place unless the pints are suppose to be sticking directly up Bc they are not

Aug 18, 2018
They are all at the same angle on one half and all at the same angle on the other, zero are out of place. I’m completely lost to why it’s not working I’ve tried pretty much all there is out there and the only thing it points to is that the processor is bad but I’ve already returned one and gotten another new one I put my friends i7 in it and played on the computer for a weekend I’ve tested the psu to make sure it has had enough power I’ve taken the ram out and the graphics card, I’ve done everything I could think of and everything online. Any more suggestions besides the pins?

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
When a computer turns itself off like that, it usually means some kind of short. do you have any extra standoffs under the motherboard that don't have a corresponding screw through the MB? Check all of your power cables. I'd double check your ram too.

Another thought... can you try your cpu in your friends computer?

Aug 18, 2018
I don’t have any standoff’s on my computer except for the area around my processor where I I screw the fan into, so I screw the fan into the four standoff’s that have spacers on them around my processor, and I don’t have any standoff’s anywhere else. Also I double checked my cables and ram

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
you should have standoffs holding up your motherboard. Otherwise your motherboard is sitting against your metal casing. Are you sure you don't have standoffs under your motherboard?

They look like this:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=09Z-01R9-00001&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Accessories+-+Case+%2F+Rackmount-_-09Z-01R9-00001&gclid=CjwKCAjwh9_bBRA_EiwApObaOGfe1DgQjyQLaIEZU4VTS3mZbW0qknyqrhz9MPXJkl0EIFT6lHPmxhoCXKkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Solution
Aug 18, 2018
I just drove over to my friends house to test it... I’m in shock, it didn’t work in his computer.... that is two processors in a row that do not work that is hard to believe.

Aug 18, 2018
As too the standoff’s I do have standoff’s they just aren’t on the very edge of every side of my mother board. The stand offs are located on each four corners just right outside the socket for the cpu. The standoff’s connect to a bracket on the back of my motherboard

Aug 18, 2018
I’m a idiot and I don’t want to talk about it.... his processor is a i7 7700k and my motherboard is the z270 not the z370 im sorry for wasting your time I can’t belive I’m that stupid