Question Computer turns on, turns off then comes on again?

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
So recently when pressing the power button on my computer, the desktop starts up but a couple of seconds later it switches off completely for a few seconds then it start up again on its own and then proceeds to carry on booting up. I’m not sure why it does this but it never used to, it only ever normally done this is there was a power cut and you’re then turning it back on.

anyone know what could be causing this?

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
Most importantly I need the PSU information.
You may have to open the panel to get the model.
...and how old is the PSU?
make and model of your PSU and how old is it?
It is a EVGA 550 GS, 80 Plus gold, im not quite sure on the age.. i bought most of the parts for my PC in December 2016, so 5 years maybe?
other than the start up on my PC i dont really experience anything unusual, noise is fine, computer doesnt really crash,

The voltages are good in the BIOS....but that's not real surprising as there's not much load.

Also....the issue you have with the restarting may be due to the PSU being cold.

The voltages might be OK after the PSU warms up a little....so we may NEVER see them low.

Which is one reason I would swap the Corsair in.

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
The voltages are good in the BIOS....but that's not real surprising as there's not much load.

Also....the issue you have with the restarting may be due to the PSU being cold.

The voltages might be OK after the PSU warms up a little....so we may NEVER see them low.

Which is one reason I would swap the Corsair in.
Is this something that could be bad for my whole system if i dont swap out ASAP? or is this something i can just live with for a bit until i get the time to get a new one and swap it out?

In general....I don't normally think something like this is going to damage anything because most likely the voltages aren't going high enough to.

...but because the supply is acting differently...that means something changed.....and that means it's probably more likely that something else can change ( because it's getting old). So I wouldn't let it go a long time.

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
T
In general....I don't normally think something like this is going to damage anything because most likely the voltages aren't going high enough to.

...but because the supply is acting differently...that means something changed.....and that means it's probably more likely that something else can change ( because it's getting old). So I wouldn't let it go a long time.
Thanks mate, I am planning on upgrading my CPU at some point, and that will probably require me to upgrade my motherboard also, what PSU would you recommend if I am going to upgrade to better equipment? 600w? 650w?

T

Thanks mate, I am planning on upgrading my CPU at some point, and that will probably require me to upgrade my motherboard also, what PSU would you recommend if I am going to upgrade to better equipment? 600w? 650w?
A good 500 watts supply is all that system needs.
You generally can't go wrong with Seasonic or Corsair.
If you plan on upgrading the GPU in the future....a 750 watt will cover just about any GPU upgrade you could do.
If you plan on sticking with the GTX 1070.....the 500 watts will do fine.
I run two Corsair RMX units and I like them.
I also run a top of the line Seasonic.
I would advise not skimping on the PSU as a cheap one is much much more likely to damage your system.

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
A good 500 watts supply is all that system needs.
You generally can't go wrong with Seasonic or Corsair.
If you plan on upgrading the GPU in the future....a 750 watt will cover just about any GPU upgrade you could do.
If you plan on sticking with the GTX 1070.....the 500 watts will do fine.
I run two Corsair RMX units and I like them.
I also run a top of the line Seasonic.
I would advise not skimping on the PSU as a cheap one is much much more likely to damage your system.
What Wattage do you run on your systems?

What Wattage do you run on your systems?
I have a system with an RTX 2080 Ti that runs an 850 watt Seasonic.
I have another system that runs a GTX 1060 with a Corsair RMx 750.
...and I have another system that runs a GTX 1080 with a Corsair RMx 1000 (but this power supply was for something else at one point...I'm just using it because I needed a power suppy....it doesn't need to be nearly this big but bigger doesn't hurt anything).