Computer turns on when power is connecter

ce123ben

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
I have an amd motherboard with an athlon x2, and 4gb ram. It worked fine for a while, but then today, i unplugged my hard drive and reconnected it because i wanted to move it in the case because of heat. Anyway, when I plugged the power cord back in it just turned on. The cpu fan started moving, and the lights on the front and in the power supply went on. It didn't post though, its just on. I went to the extreme of unplugging everything, so I have the mobo connected to the psu, out of the case, no ram, no cpu. Same thing, when i plug the cord in the light and fan in the psu turn on, even when i have no case, thus no power switch connected. Please help.....

TegGhola

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
The only thing I can think of is that you may have dislodged or misconnected the wires that join the motherboard to your case, such as the tiny POWER wires that join your motherboard to your power switch. If you accidentally connected those across a closed circuit, it would be like someone constantly holding the power button.

Which would cause your machine to power up as soon as you plug it in, and would probably cause it to shut off a few seconds later (because holding the power button down while the machine is on causes it to turn itself off).

Just a guess, but worth checking carefully.

ce123ben

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Thank you for replying, I actually disconnected the motherboard from the case entirely, because I originally suspected the case as the problem. Nothing changed though, I have another case, i'll put the mono in it when I get home

acrowto2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Check the BIOS srttings especially the setting that pertains to what happens to the computer after power failure it may just be set to turn on after power failure.