[SOLVED] Computer unable to boot off of ssd after changing motherboard

ju1c3

Honorable
May 7, 2018
I recently upgraded to the Gigabyte B450 Aorus pro wifi mb and now my pc won't boot off of my ssd, it will BSOD with the error code "inaccessible boot drive" I am able to boot fine off of my hdd but it is super slow and I'm missing like all my important files. I have tried like all the tutorials on youtube but nothing works. Should I reset my pc as a last resort or?

Solution
The ssd is there in the bios, its just if I force override boot it from the mobos it just bluescreens

You didn't say if you can open and access SSD and its files from Windows 'Files'. If it's accessible you can just copy your files elsewhere from within Windows (booted off the HDD) or as I said before with Live linux disc/USB access and move/copy files.

I would at this point suggest, as advised above, to do a clean installation of Windows. Note: that if you don't backup files from you're assuming working SSD you'd lose them in the process of installing a new OS.

kanewolf

Titan
I recently upgraded to the Gigabyte B450 Aorus pro wifi mb and now my pc won't boot off of my ssd, it will BSOD with the error code "inaccessible boot drive" I am able to boot fine off of my hdd but it is super slow and I'm missing like all my important files. I have tried like all the tutorials on youtube but nothing works. Should I reset my pc as a last resort or?
You should have prepared for a motherboard swap by assuming you would have to do a clean install. But it is obvious that you have no backup process. A disk can fail at any time.
Is this a SATA SSD or an NVMe ? If SATA is it an M.2?

ju1c3

Honorable
May 7, 2018
You should have prepared for a motherboard swap by assuming you would have to do a clean install. But it is obvious that you have no backup process. A disk can fail at any time.
Is this a SATA SSD or an NVMe ? If SATA is it an M.2?
Is there any way to fix this or recover my files? Like a fresh install of windows?

ju1c3

Honorable
May 7, 2018
You're files are there as far as documents and photos and such are concerned.

You can use a live linux disc or USB and boot the system with that and access and copy your files on other media assuming the SSD is it working condition.
Am I able to boot my pc with my ssd somehow? Like with a factory reset or fresh install of windows? The files are important but I would rather be able to boot my pc again with my ssd. I'm kinda confused at what you guys are getting at, is my ssd broken or?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Am I able to boot my pc with my ssd somehow? Like with a factory reset or fresh install of windows? The files are important but I would rather be able to boot my pc again with my ssd. I'm kinda confused at what you guys are getting at, is my ssd broken or?

I didn't intend to confuse you if that's what happened.

If the system refuses to boot because you changed MOBOs which is likely because your Windows registraion is somehow tied to the motherboard.

If the SSD is working you're files on it are still there. You owuld need to reinstall any programs that require installation on the fresh Windows install (when you do that) but you're files on the Windows drive (the SSD) are still there. Unless the SSD is broken and that's what preventing you from booting off it.

ju1c3

Honorable
May 7, 2018
I didn't intend to confuse you if that's what happened.

If the system refuses to boot because you changed MOBOs which is likely because your Windows registraion is somehow tied to the motherboard.

If the SSD is working you're files on it are still there. You owuld need to reinstall any programs that require installation on the fresh Windows install (when you do that) but you're files on the Windows drive (the SSD) are still there. Unless the SSD is broken and that's what preventing you from booting off it.
So, what do I need to do to fix my drive and for it to work again? Rebuy a windows key? Or are you saying I just need to do a fresh windows install and then reinstall and the programs that were wiped

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
So, what do I need to do to fix my drive and for it to work again? Rebuy a windows key? Or are you saying I just need to do a fresh windows install and then reinstall and the programs that were wiped

Yes that's pretty much is it. You don't need to buy Windows key if it's a retail license and it can be installed multiple times on a single machine.

Not quite certain about this part and whether you might need to sort that out with Microsoft support; and that Windows would see your system with the new motherboard as a 'different machine' or not. I hope others would elaborate on this.

As kanewolf said above, a fresh install of Windows on the SSD would do the trick assuming it's not broken and it is still working. And yes you'd need to reinstall the programs you use/have after the Windows installation.

But Windows would format the system drive in the installatio process and you're data (files) would be most probably wiped beyond recovery (IF the SSD hasn't already failed and IF they're not already wiped).

ju1c3

Honorable
May 7, 2018
Yes that's pretty much is it. You don't need to buy Windows key if it's a retail license and it can be installed multiple times on a single machine.

Not quite certain about this part and whether you might need to sort that out with Microsoft support; and that Windows would see your system with the new motherboard as a 'different machine' or not. I hope others would elaborate on this.

As kanewolf said above, a fresh install of Windows on the SSD would do the trick assuming it's not broken and it is still working. And yes you'd need to reinstall the programs you use/have after the Windows installation.

But Windows would format the system drive in the installatio process and you're data (files) would be most probably wiped beyond recovery (IF the SSD hasn't already failed and IF they're not already wiped).
Yes, it is a retail version of windows, however should I do the one that keeps my files or the one that just factory resets everything

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes, it is a retail version of windows, however should I do the one that keeps my files or the one that just factory resets everything

I think first you need to check whether the SSD is working or not. Does BIOS see the SSD and display it's correct brand/model?

Also have you treid reseating the power and SATA cables to the SSD? If possible with a new SATA cable (and to a different SATA port of the motherboard).

If these don't work the SSD is probably dead and if that's the case any files on it are gone, unless you have backups on other media/drives.

ju1c3

Honorable
May 7, 2018
I think first you need to check whether the SSD is working or not. Does BIOS see the SSD and display it's correct brand/model?

Also have you treid reseating the power and SATA cables to the SSD? If possible with a new SATA cable (and to a different SATA port of the motherboard).

If these don't work the SSD is probably dead and if that's the case any files on it are gone, unless you have backups on other media/drives.
It sees the ssd in files when I boot the pc on my hdd, however I can't play any of the games the ssd had installed/ they got uninstalled. I'm using the brand new sata cable that came with the mobos and I have tried other sata ports

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
It sees the ssd in files when I boot the pc on my hdd, however I can't play any of the games the ssd had installed/ they got uninstalled.

I'm sorry I'm not sure I got this part right.

When you boot with from HDD the SSD is accessible and there are files in it? Or you just saw it in files (Windows explorer). Can you access the SSD content and open any files that are on it?

Can you check if your BIOS sees the SSD poperly or not.

ju1c3

Honorable
May 7, 2018
I'm sorry I'm not sure I got this part right.

When you boot with from HDD the SSD is accessible and there are files in it? Or you just saw it in files (Windows explorer). Can you access the SSD content and open any files that are on it?

Can you check if your BIOS sees the SSD poperly or not.
The ssd is there in the bios, its just if I force override boot it from the mobos it just bluescreens

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

You didn't say if you can open and access SSD and its files from Windows 'Files'. If it's accessible you can just copy your files elsewhere from within Windows (booted off the HDD) or as I said before with Live linux disc/USB access and move/copy files.

I would at this point suggest, as advised above, to do a clean installation of Windows. Note: that if you don't backup files from you're assuming working SSD you'd lose them in the process of installing a new OS.

Solution

ju1c3

Honorable
May 7, 2018

I'm booting my hdd up now ill check

ju1c3

Honorable
May 7, 2018

Yeah i can open the ssd in files, everything is there including windows and my games

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yeah i can open the ssd in files, everything is there including windows and my games

Alright then.

I would copy any files (docs, photos, videos) to the HDD or other media (USB flash or external HDD etc.).

After you're sure you don't need anything on the SSD do a clean installation of Windows. You'd need to reinstall any programs/games you had before on the old Windows.

ju1c3

Honorable
May 7, 2018
Alright then.

I would copy any files (docs, photos, videos) to the HDD or other media (USB flash or external HDD etc.).

After you're sure you don't need anything on the SSD do a clean installation of Windows. You'd need to reinstall any programs/games you had before on the old Windows.
But, if I copied all my files over to my hdd then wouldnt it just wipe my hdd too? or am I just reinstalling windows on my ssd and not Resetting my pc? If the prior, how do I delete and reinstall windows? and how do I transfer my ssd files over to my hdd? just drag them over in file settings? sorry im dumb lmao

USAFRet

Titan
how do I delete and reinstall windows?

ju1c3

Honorable
May 7, 2018
The problem is that the tutorial says I need to unplug everything except the drive i'm installing windows on, but I cannot boot my computer on said drive that I will be installing windows on. So if I remove my HDD my pc will not be able to get into windows.

USAFRet

Titan
The problem is that the tutorial says I need to unplug everything except the drive i'm installing windows on, but I cannot boot my computer on said drive that I will be installing windows on. So if I remove my HDD my pc will not be able to get into windows.
That is during the new OS install.
You will be booting from the USB flash drive that you create.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

You won't need to boot into Windows in order to boot the system from a bootable installation media to perform a Windows installation. Follow the tutorial USAFRet provided to the letter.

And yes I meant to mention to unplug the HDD (any drive other than the one you intend to install Windows on) so that you don't wipe/format that by mistake and also so that Windows does not move reserved and boot partition to the other drive (HDD here in your case) which would cause problems later on.

ju1c3

Honorable
May 7, 2018
You won't need to boot into Windows in order to boot the system from a bootable installation media to perform a Windows installation. Follow the tutorial USAFRet provided to the letter.

And yes I meant to mention to unplug the HDD (any drive other than the one you intend to install Windows on) so that you don't wipe/format that by mistake and also so that Windows does not move reserved and boot partition to the other drive (HDD here in your case) which would cause problems later on.
Okay and finally how do I transfer my files from my ssd to my hdd before I start this process?