BobMcSmith

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017
Hi!
I have a computer that I think should run a lot better. Every time I play a game, even on low settings, my CPU and RAM, and sometimes even my GPU max out. It still happens when I'm only running the game, and not multitasking. I don't know if my PSU is wacky, or some other shenanigans that I don't know about, but I feel like this should not happen. Thanks!

CPU: i5-7600K
MOBO: Asus H-170 PRO GAMING
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: ADATA XPG 8GB 2400
PSU: Corsair 750W

Solution
You paired the K CPU with the wrong motherboard. You should've paired it with a Z170 chipsetted board or a Z270 at the most. What is the model for your Corsair PSU?

Also, take note of your motherboard BIOS version. If you have updates pending, gradually work your way to the latest. To note, there's nothing you can do about overclocking since the chipset prevents you from doing so.

Lutfij

Titan
You paired the K CPU with the wrong motherboard. You should've paired it with a Z170 chipsetted board or a Z270 at the most. What is the model for your Corsair PSU?

Also, take note of your motherboard BIOS version. If you have updates pending, gradually work your way to the latest. To note, there's nothing you can do about overclocking since the chipset prevents you from doing so.

Solution

BobMcSmith

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017
Did a BIOS update yesterday, and I think it helped performance a bit. I have to take my case off to see the PSU, which I'll do in a little bit, but its actually a 650W, not a 750. Thanks

BobMcSmith

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017

Ok, so I've been looking for a new motherboard. Would I have the same issue if I got a 300 chip MOBO with my CPU? I ask because some 300 series MOBOs are cheaper, and I'm kind of on a budget...