Question Computer Unexpectedly shutting off in Game (COD: Modern Warfare)

zaccchh

Prominent
Jun 9, 2018
Hello,

Recently, for the first time ever, despite 2 years of zero issues with my PC, I have been experiencing unexpected computer restarts when I play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. I have checked and cleaned everything ensuring it is not a temperature issue, however, I am not 100% sure.

The 4 or 5 times it has crashed, I was in the middle of a game sitting on my usual 82 degrees Celcius (my GPU is set to max at 83). Oddly though, one time it crashed while playing a game I usually sit at 65 degrees Celcius while watching a stream. This made me believe that maybe it was not an issue with my GPU.

I have run Heaven Benchmarker multiple times on maximum settings with no crash. I can only recreate this issue when running Modern Warfare, despite the one outlier. I have done everything from resetting my BIOS to cleaning out the dust from my PSU and GPU.

I'm not sure if these are at all related, but recently I installed 2 new pieces of RAM before these crashes. (these RAM pieces are exactly the same as the previous 2 I had, I merely upgraded from 16 to 32 GB) At this point I'm dumbfounded.

Any help would be great.
Thanks for your time.

I'm not sure if these are at all related, but recently I installed 2 new pieces of RAM before these crashes. (these RAM pieces are exactly the same as the previous 2 I had, I merely upgraded from 16 to 32 GB) At this point I'm dumbfounded.
This could easily be the problem. When you mix 2 2x8 gb kits of RAM they are not guaranteed to work together. That is one of the reasons why 4x8 gb kits are a little pricier than 2 2x8 gb kits, they are guaranteed to work unless there is a defect.

zaccchh

Prominent
Jun 9, 2018
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB Turbo OC Video Card
Mobo: Gigabyte X470 AORUS GAMING 5 WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (2 kits for 32 GB)
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case

Let me know if you need any more information.
Thanks

zaccchh

Prominent
Jun 9, 2018
This could easily be the problem. When you mix 2 2x8 gb kits of RAM they are not guaranteed to work together. That is one of the reasons why 4x8 gb kits are a little pricier than 2 2x8 gb kits, they are guaranteed to work unless there is a defect.

I took out both of the new RAM sticks today and received the same crash, so it doesn't seem to be the problem.

ItsAlpey

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2015
Hear me out,

I have a similar issue, the very second the lobby countdown ends and it switches to the map loading screen it restarts my pc, no pattern to it either. It could be the first game I try to play or the 3rd and boom it's restarting.

Now, I've given it a good Google and quite a few people have the same issue. All of our temps are fine, PSU dust free ect.

The ONLY thing I've found that fixes it is force limiting your FPS in NvidiaControlPanel to your screens refresh rate, which keeps it on forever. que the input delay tho

andrix10

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
have similar issue, random crashes when I play a game, installed Linux too still crashed. People are saying it's PSU, so I bought new one along with a bunch of other new stuff, hopefully it fixes it.