Build Advice Computer Upgrade for a 2017-18 PC with budget of about 500€

Oct 9, 2022
Hey, everybody! I've been thinking of upgrading some of the part from my PC (I bought it in 2018). Here's the template filled:

Current Parts:
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.50GHz
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B150M-D3H-CF
  • Memory: 8GB RAM
  • Power Supply: Corsair VS650
  • Graphic Card: AMD Radeon R9 380
  • Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Parts to Change: I was thinking of changing the ram (get at least 16GB), the graphic card and the CPU (in that order). I was planning on keeping the rest unless you guys tell me something needs to be changed.
Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference. I bought the parts for my current PC on amazon, but anything that delivers on Spain (and doesn't charge absurd prices for shipping will do).

Parts Preferences: No preference

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080. I'm not planning on upgrading it unless it's necessary.

Additional Comments: I would like to get a PC good enough to play some current and near future games, even if it has to be on medium (I don't care too much about graphics, and I certainly don't need everything to be on ultra). Some games I'd like to play but my current PC can't run: Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous, Baldur's Gate III, The Witcher III, Fallout 4, Pillars of Eternity 2.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My current PC can't run some of the games I'd like to try and it even starts to have problems running older games that it was able to run in the past (lower framerates, the fans get louder and the pc seems to struggle in general, to the point where it froze a couple of times).

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you are in a position where you cannot completely upgrade, there are a few things I would consider.

Go ahead with a matched kit of 2x8 or 4x8 DDR4. I wouldn't worry so much about speed as price on the current platform. 32GB will be all that system ever needs.

If you don't already have one, get your OS on an SSD.

Consider something like a 6600 or perhaps a 3050, 2060, something along those lines.

If budget wasn't an issue, I would recommend replacement of the entire system but think the above mitigations would be helpful for a couple of years more use, probably to the end of W10 support.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6kfgKp

Hopefully you can swing $527. As soon as possible afterwards I’d get a QUALITY PSU

On this build the BIOS revision issue is (probably) real. AM4 platform can be a complete quagmire for new builders without other earlier AM4 CPU on hand to sort such things out. I cannot in good faith recommend buying a 5xxx CPU and a 5xx motherboard without checking and knowing for sure they are ready to work with each other.

On this build the BIOS revision issue is (probably) real. AM4 platform can be a complete quagmire for new builders without other earlier AM4 CPU on hand to sort such things out. I cannot in good faith recommend buying a 5xxx CPU and a 5xx motherboard without checking and knowing for sure they are ready to work with each other.
This is true. If you live close to a microcenter you could get it there cheaper and ensure it's updated

Oct 9, 2022
Thanks for the help! I'll probably buy the 6600 and the RAM for now. I'm afraid I don't live close to a microcenter, so I prefer not to risk it.

Out of curiosity though, since you mentioned you would recommend changing the entire system punkncat, how much would it cost me to build a decent gaming PC nowadays? Something that could run the games I listed on my post without issues (even if it's just mid-high, not necessarily ultra) and that might serve me for 5 or so years.

Thanks for the help! I'll probably buy the 6600 and the RAM for now. I'm afraid I don't live close to a microcenter, so I prefer not to risk it.

Out of curiosity though, since you mentioned you would recommend changing the entire system punkncat, how much would it cost me to build a decent gaming PC nowadays? Something that could run the games I listed on my post without issues (even if it's just mid-high, not necessarily ultra) and that might serve me for 5 or so years.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V2fgKp

This is a low end gaming build

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YjKVZw
Mid level

Hey, everybody! I've been thinking of upgrading some of the part from my PC (I bought it in 2018). Here's the template filled:

Current Parts:
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.50GHz
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B150M-D3H-CF
  • Memory: 8GB RAM
  • Power Supply: Corsair VS650
  • Graphic Card: AMD Radeon R9 380
  • Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Parts to Change: I was thinking of changing the ram (get at least 16GB), the graphic card and the CPU (in that order). I was planning on keeping the rest unless you guys tell me something needs to be changed.
Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference. I bought the parts for my current PC on amazon, but anything that delivers on Spain (and doesn't charge absurd prices for shipping will do).

Parts Preferences: No preference

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080. I'm not planning on upgrading it unless it's necessary.

Additional Comments: I would like to get a PC good enough to play some current and near future games, even if it has to be on medium (I don't care too much about graphics, and I certainly don't need everything to be on ultra). Some games I'd like to play but my current PC can't run: Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous, Baldur's Gate III, The Witcher III, Fallout 4, Pillars of Eternity 2.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My current PC can't run some of the games I'd like to try and it even starts to have problems running older games that it was able to run in the past (lower framerates, the fans get louder and the pc seems to struggle in general, to the point where it froze a couple of times).
It's your call if your want to build up or just start over with a new build.

I'd start with a quality 750w psu.

Should handle most upgrades and you can move it to a new build if you want.

Ram go with a 2x kit 16GB or 32GB.

Do get the proper bios and mobo drivers and do a little house cleaning on the built up storage crud.