Question Computer Upgrade for High Modded Skyrim

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 27, 2019
Guys I'm trying to upgrade my computer using parts from this non-gaming PC I have, specs here:

https://support.hp.com/nz-en/document/c04853711

and want to play high settings modded skyrim gameplay at very good speed

My question is will this Pc tower:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811353057

be compatible with this gpu?

https://www.amazon.ca/EVGA-GeForce-...1263-KR/dp/B07NBHXKK6/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1

with the motheboard/processor, sound, windows 10 os of
the hp slimeline product

battery supply: https://www.newegg.ca/corsair-cx-series-cx650m-650w/p/N82E16817139148

ssd:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3kL7YJ/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e250bam

NOTE:
Integrated sound is not available if a graphics card is installed.

This also has me a little confused. On board audio is disabled with a GPU installed?

Other than that it looks like the board has all the standardized connections. So the psu you chose should work. Itll fit in that case just fine also. GPU should connect just fine too.

Just dont understand what you'll have to do about audio, if installing a gpu disables on board.

What is a "very good speed"? The original Skyrim on PC had an fps cap of 60 due to the physics engine it uses; anything above wrecked gameplay. And apparently the true is same of Skyrim SE. As such you can't really boost your framerates. And it sounds like you're focusing on graphics, so the graphics card upgrade makes sense. And it should be fine with the motherboard you have.

The one issue as far as I can see, and make comparisons with, is whether you can transfer the motherboard into the case/tower you want to use. My concern is the motherboard, being one for a prebuilt, doesn't use standard standoff positioning even though it is supposed to be mATX.

Dec 27, 2019
Well I have a Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER motherboard,but those will cost you up to $300.

Link: X570 Auros Master

For $75, its going to be hard to find a motherboard worth your time, although the two linked below seem ok, not sure what others here would think of them. The first one is a shade above $75. I almost want to advise you to wait and save your money if the HP motherboard isn't giving you any trouble though, until you can afford to get a higher end one from a more reputable company. With motherboards, you want to future proof it, and the future is motherboards with PCI-E 4.0 slots because it provides double the data rate transfer of PCI-E 3.0 slots, meaning double the performance.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FKV5HWJ/?tag=thowisguy-20

Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZY2F35X/?tag=thowisguy-20

Good deal, exact same model I have. (y)(y)

Thanks!

I'm just waiting for the parts now to be delivered, and will get a friend to build it.

Will let you guys know how it runs when I play the game again within a week or so. :)

Dec 27, 2019
As I said, I'm waiting for my parts to be delivered so it can be built.

Right now the aim is to play modded skyrim with high settings. Performance should be 40-60 Fps
Specs once built:

Case: CORSAIR CARBIDE SPEC-05 Mid-Tower Gaming Case, Black - CC-9011138-WW

Motherboard: Shave-HSW

CPU: Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-4790T CPU @ 2.70GHZ, 2701 Mhz, 4 Crore(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Max Turbo boost enables it at 3.9 GHZ, Windows 10 OS

PSU: Corsair Semi-Modular ATX CX550M Power Supply CP-9020102-NA (550 w)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti XC, Overclocked, 2.75 Slot Extreme Cool, 65C Gaming, 6GB GDDR6, 06G-P4-1263-KR

SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive
1TTB HDD built in

System Memory Ram: 8 GB of space DDR3-1600

I'm assuming VRAM is GPU's RAM, which should be 6GB based on what my GPU is.

That's all folks

Let me know if I need to do anything else, once I start building.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019
Right now the aim is to play modded skyrim with high settings. Performance should be 40-60 Fps
Specs once built:

Case: CORSAIR CARBIDE SPEC-05 Mid-Tower Gaming Case, Black - CC-9011138-WW

Motherboard: Shave-HSW

CPU: Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-4790T CPU @ 2.70GHZ, 2701 Mhz, 4 Crore(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Max Turbo boost enables it at 3.9 GHZ, Windows 10 OS

PSU: Corsair Semi-Modular ATX CX550M Power Supply CP-9020102-NA (550 w)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti XC, Overclocked, 2.75 Slot Extreme Cool, 65C Gaming, 6GB GDDR6, 06G-P4-1263-KR

SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive
1TTB HDD built in

System Memory Ram: 8 GB of space DDR3-1600

I'm assuming VRAM is GPU's RAM, which should be 6GB based on what my GPU is.

That's all folks

Let me know if I need to do anything else, once I start building.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019
NOTE:
Integrated sound is not available if a graphics card is installed.

This also has me a little confused. On board audio is disabled with a GPU installed?

Other than that it looks like the board has all the standardized connections. So the psu you chose should work. Itll fit in that case just fine also. GPU should connect just fine too.

Just dont understand what you'll have to do about audio, if installing a gpu disables on board.

Yep no idea about that.

The purpose is to use the parts in the original PC, along with the ones I bought, and move them to a new case.

Dec 27, 2019
What is a "very good speed"? The original Skyrim on PC had an fps cap of 60 due to the physics engine it uses; anything above wrecked gameplay. And apparently the true is same of Skyrim SE. As such you can't really boost your framerates. And it sounds like you're focusing on graphics, so the graphics card upgrade makes sense. And it should be fine with the motherboard you have.

The one issue as far as I can see, and make comparisons with, is whether you can transfer the motherboard into the case/tower you want to use. My concern is the motherboard, being one for a prebuilt, doesn't use standard standoff positioning even though it is supposed to be mATX.

By very good speed, I'll be happy with 40-60 FPS.

I upgraded my PSU, GPU, Will use SSD

I will have to ask my friend about the motherboard. Biggest Issue right now is definitely the motherboard.
If it can't be transferred, I will be forced to buy a new one then.

CPU Processor while a bit dated, seems to be fine from the responses I have gotten.
Turbo speed enabled is 3.9 GHZ :)

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019
If you were only using the integrated graphics before, then the graphics card upgrade alone will make a lot of difference. At least for vanilla Skyrim; should still do well for modded one too. How many graphics mods after that.... no idea.

Yep I was using Intel HD Graphics 4600 and had to play at extremely low setting!

The intention is to play modded Skyrim at high settings. I wont use many graphic mods. ENB, a few popular HD texture ones that's about it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sigh....

I7-3770K @ 4.6GHz.
GTX970.

I get solid 60fps running 173 2k/4k/8k character, armor, companion, weather, city, lighting and area mods. At Ultra settings.

Ya'll miss the point. Mods are scripted using papyrus script, which is read and reread and overlayed by the cpu alone. Has nothing to do with the gpu. The only thing that'll slow down the gpu is post processing affects, which aren't that demanding unless you are running an ENB. Which in SE are much less demanding on the cpu than original.

My current skyrim uses 5-6 threads, so anything more than 4 is good. What skyrim relies upon the most is IPC as it's the papyrus overlays that need to be shoved through.

Cpu sets fps limit. GPS lives upto that limit, or fails. Anything 1050ti or better will have no issues at ultra, the fps will be determined by the number of mods, optimization of the mods, even list order.

There is one set of mods I'd advise you not bother with, even if they do seriously bring female hip movements to life and those are the HDT physX mods released by Hentai. It's just 2 mod additions, but the armors, poses and HDT physX supplied by places like LoversLab/nexus are highly cpu demanding and can dump fps in the toilet if you already have a good amount in there..

Warning: mods are addicting. You'll start out with a few, then see a new companion, armor set, body type like CBBE, so then go hunting more armors and bodyslides for them, then find mods like Better Vampires (a must have) and get more mods to add to that. That's not even mentioning Dual Sheathe redux to carry and draw 2 swords on your back, the xpmse skeleton, fnis, and all the npc makeover mods (women in skyrim are seriously in need of a makeover). Then there's the homestead mods, let's add storage and a smithy downstairs, all the cheater mods like weightless gold and materials, the magic redo mods to add 100+ usable spells and skills. Unless you are into realism, there's all sorts of survival, frost fall, camping, immersive hunting, wildlife, creature use, weather, lighting (want it actually dark at night?) mods etc.

And for every mod you discover, that you simply must have, there's usually 3-5 other mod requirements, skse64, skyUI, and others.

170+ mods comes easy.

Last edited:
HP motherboards aren't that bad, I had a Q9550 HP workstation which worked well above 6 years until I upgraded. I got it for reaally cheap on Kijiji. I was able to OC the CPU from 2.8 to 3.4Ghz stock voltage using SetFSB program, it also OCed the RAM. It was working great with an HD5970 the day that the GPU was released. The default case did fit all my components even the TX850 PSU.

Just make sure your motherboard's power cables are not property, e.g. non-standard, 24pin and 4-8 CPU power pins. Otherwise you won't be able to change the PSU. And that it has a PCIE slot.

Last edited:
Reactions: PcBuild23
Dec 27, 2019
Sigh....

I7-3770K @ 4.6GHz.
GTX970.

I get solid 60fps running 173 2k/4k/8k character, armor, companion, weather, city, lighting and area mods. At Ultra settings.

Ya'll miss the point. Mods are scripted using papyrus script, which is read and reread and overlayed by the cpu alone. Has nothing to do with the gpu. The only thing that'll slow down the gpu is post processing affects, which aren't that demanding unless you are running an ENB. Which in SE are much less demanding on the cpu than original.

My current skyrim uses 5-6 threads, so anything more than 4 is good. What skyrim relies upon the most is IPC as it's the papyrus overlays that need to be shoved through.

Cpu sets fps limit. GPS lives upto that limit, or fails. Anything 1050ti or better will have no issues at ultra, the fps will be determined by the number of mods, optimization of the mods, even list order.

There is one set of mods I'd advise you not bother with, even if they do seriously bring female hip movements to life and those are the HDT physX mods released by Hentai. It's just 2 mod additions, but the armors, poses and HDT physX supplied by places like LoversLab/nexus are highly cpu demanding and can dump fps in the toilet if you already have a good amount in there..

Warning: mods are addicting. You'll start out with a few, then see a new companion, armor set, body type like CBBE, so then go hunting more armors and bodyslides for them, then find mods like Better Vampires (a must have) and get more mods to add to that. That's not even mentioning Dual Sheathe redux to carry and draw 2 swords on your back, the xpmse skeleton, fnis, and all the npc makeover mods (women in skyrim are seriously in need of a makeover). Then there's the homestead mods, let's add storage and a smithy downstairs, all the cheater mods like weightless gold and materials, the magic redo mods to add 100+ usable spells and skills. Unless you are into realism, there's all sorts of survival, frost fall, camping, immersive hunting, wildlife, creature use, weather, lighting (want it actually dark at night?) mods etc.

And for every mod you discover, that you simply must have, there's usually 3-5 other mod requirements, skse64, skyUI, and others.

170+ mods comes easy.

Based on my CPU-SSD-PSU-GPU-Memory/Ram configurations, how well do you believe my FPS level will be around with decent level of mods in high setting?

Based on my CPU-SSD-PSU-GPU-Memory/Ram configurations, how well do you believe my FPS level will be around with decent level of mods in high setting?
Your 4790T is likely around 6-10% slower than Karadjgne's 3770k at 4.6Ghz. For another comparison, my 4770S is about as fast as my i7-2600k oc'ed to 4.5Ghz. The 4770S is likely about as fast as the 4790T. On my 2600k oc'ed and GTX 970 in 2015, I got between 40-60fps with a somewhat heavily modded Skyrim, but the mods were not optimized well, especially the large expansion mods. I never played SE, so I don't know if I could have maintained constant 60fps.

Dec 27, 2019
Your 4790T is likely around 6-10% slower than Karadjgne's 3770k at 4.6Ghz. For another comparison, my 4770S is about as fast as my i7-2600k oc'ed to 4.5Ghz. The 4770S is likely about as fast as the 4790T. On my 2600k oc'ed and GTX 970 in 2015, I got between 40-60fps with a somewhat heavily modded Skyrim, but the mods were not optimized well, especially the large expansion mods. I never played SE, so I don't know if I could have maintained constant 60fps.

Great news since I'm mostly aiming for 40-60 fps.

I will check out which game is best suited for my system. Start with SE for now. Just waiting for the PSU to be delivered in, so the building time will start.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Classic skyrim is cool, there's a boat load of mods, ppl are still making them, but stability at high mod counts is iffy at best, load order is highly important. SE fixes many of the stability issues, load order is only as important as what mod overlays another, and many of the better mod makers have long since moved there, and have not gone back to Classic. SE is a whole lot smoother overall with upto 64bit processing, not locked into 16/32bit at best.