Question Computer upgrade. Need recommendations...

May 2, 2019
I use this mainly for 3D modelling (not rendering) and some gaming.

Need some recommendation for a new PC case, another SSD, and a better cooling system.

Other upgrade recommendations are welcomed.

MY COMPUTER:

Case: COOLER MASTER SILENCIO 452 Mid Tower
CPU: Intel Haswell Extreme Series Core i7 5820K 6 Core 3.3Ghz
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14S Dual Tower
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme3 Intel X99
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX970 4G Windforce 3X OC Version
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB SATA 2.5" Internal SSD, WD 1TB Blue Edition 3.5" SATA3 Internal HDD
Cooling: MasterLiquid 120
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 650W 80+ Gold Full Modular

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
i would suggest you wait few more months and get 10th gen or 3rd gen ryzen.
i mean you got a solid rig, you can use it for another 2 year.. unless you make living with it then its different .. just overclock it a bit

Reactions: AreH
If it's just for rendering, I second Nirmith Akash Anawarathne's answer. You're better off upgrading your GPU to whatever money you have at your disposal to upgrade to, than upgrade the whole platform and get a lesser GPU.

If cost is no concern, then typically, rendering prefers top speeds and IPC than amount of cores. The i7 9800K should be a fine match for such tasks, but the i9 9900K might be a better fit (only on the account of max speed).

Cheers!

In what way is your current case lacking?

You can improve cooling if you install 140mm front intake fans.
Your current cooler is excellent.

Noctua makes good quiet 140mm fans ranging from 1500 rpm up to 3000rpm.

Your motherboard supports X4 pcie m.2 drives.
Buy a Samsung 970 evo in the capacity you need. 1tb is reasonable these days. Use the Samsung ssd migration app to move your current C drive to the new ssd.
You should also buy a pcie to nvme x4 adapter card. That will let you do the move internally without using a usb to pcie adapter cable.
Later, you can move your old ssd to the adapter card.
I suspect your motherboard may not be able to boot from a pcie adapter card. You could try it.

TRENDING THREADS