Computer Upgrade on the cheap

David_516

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
So i have a i3 4170t 16gb ddr3 gtx 570 240gb ssd 2 tera hd and a sound blaster z card all on a asus b85-g motherboard with a 800 watt psu

Well its long past time to upgrade but im on a budget. I dont play alot of highend games just wow and Diablo pretty much, but im having issues with slow page displays when scrolling through long web pages and such. Id like to upgrade as best as possible on the cheap. Id liek to keep my ram but not sure if there is any really viable options if i keep it. I dont need anything fancy I hate RGB Lighting I just want a solid rig. I have a new gtx 1060 on its way but im pretty sure im gonna get bottlenecked with my current config any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Well you could replace your CPU with a Core i7 4770, 4770k, 4790 or 4790K. It would be a substantial upgrade and would only require changing the CPU and possibly a heavier duty heatsink if one is not included.

You can save some money buying them used off eBay. CPUs practically last forever. You have buyer protection against DOA. Given the less than 1% annual failure rate of CPU. If it is good when it arrives. There's probably only a three to four percent better chance that a new CPU will survive the next ten years vs a used one.

Note: Your motherboard also supports XEON CPU. Take a look at your motherboards support list. Sometimes these XEONs are cheap. They offer the same performance as their Core i7 counterparts when the number...
Well you could replace your CPU with a Core i7 4770, 4770k, 4790 or 4790K. It would be a substantial upgrade and would only require changing the CPU and possibly a heavier duty heatsink if one is not included.

You can save some money buying them used off eBay. CPUs practically last forever. You have buyer protection against DOA. Given the less than 1% annual failure rate of CPU. If it is good when it arrives. There's probably only a three to four percent better chance that a new CPU will survive the next ten years vs a used one.

Note: Your motherboard also supports XEON CPU. Take a look at your motherboards support list. Sometimes these XEONs are cheap. They offer the same performance as their Core i7 counterparts when the number of cores and clock rates are the same. They just don't always offer integrated graphics. Just pay attention to the V series. It needs to be a V3. Intel recycles the other numbers.
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/B85MG/HelpDesk_CPU/

Solution