[SOLVED] Computer upgrade or just graphics - i7-4790/GTX1060

Dec 16, 2020
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Q1 2021

Budget Range: $2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Generally MMOs, but single player FPS and other various games. Nothing competitive.

Are you buying a monitor: No, I have a 55" 4K 144Hz LG TV I play on.

Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM) Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using

Intel Core i7-4790
Corsair CPU water cooler (don't remember the model)
ASRock Z97M Pro4 Motherboard
GSkill DDR3 PC3-14900 16GB (2 x 8GB)
ASUS NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Samsung 500GB 850 EVO
Two WDC WD15EARS 1500GB HDD (RAID 0)
Corsair 550W Full Modular PSU
Corsair Carbide Air 240 Case

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing) Newegg.com; Amazon

Location: City, State/Region, Country - we need to know where these parts are being assembled and whether there are good store-only deals available
Tennessee, USA

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to upgrade to Intel CPU)
My current system is the only Intel based computer I have had in 30 years. I went with it because at the time AMD's Ryzen CPUs were just a rumor. I would prefer to go AMD this time around.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 2560x1440

Additional Comments: I prefer micro-ATX format. Not super concerned with RGB. This system has been upgrade a few times. It started out as an i5 with a GTX 960 card. So over all I estimate that I have had the core of the system for about 7 years.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading:
Feel like it is time to upgrade. Newer games are starting to be noticeably laggy.

My primary question is, can I get away with just getting a video card upgrade and wait a bit longer for what will end up being a full system upgrade? Obviously, the answer to that question would determine how much my budget will be impacted. If I can do just a GPU then I could spend a bit more and get something higher-end, but if I need to do the whole system at once then I will have to make concessions. I could go the other way and upgrade the CPU, RAM and Motherboard, but keep the GPU and other components; upgrading them later.

Just looking to see what other's thoughts are.

Thanks.

Solution
Okay, I would say you can save some money and focus more on your PSU & GPU, 3GB memory is a bit low for modern titles. Your 4790 can make it for now and 16GB of RAM looks fine to me. RAID 0 (stripe) with a solid-state drive, looks okay. For PSU, look for an efficiency anything starting from Gold standard and 750+ wattage which will provide you with enough space for future up-gradation. That's ONE way.

Another way, apart from your storage, you upgrade the rest of your components. It would look something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($449.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($93.99 @ Newegg)...

ben001

Distinguished
Okay, I would say you can save some money and focus more on your PSU & GPU, 3GB memory is a bit low for modern titles. Your 4790 can make it for now and 16GB of RAM looks fine to me. RAID 0 (stripe) with a solid-state drive, looks okay. For PSU, look for an efficiency anything starting from Gold standard and 750+ wattage which will provide you with enough space for future up-gradation. That's ONE way.

Another way, apart from your storage, you upgrade the rest of your components. It would look something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($449.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($93.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($489.99 @ Adorama)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1503.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-17 02:53 EST-0500

Maybe, add an NVME drive for fast loading but I think that's all you can do. :)

Solution