[SOLVED] Computer upgrade path

Sticky_1

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
Recently installed a new GPU from the GTX750TI --> RX 570 4gb OC Edition and am going to start upgrading other parts but need to know what to upgrade first

specs;
i5-6400
rx 570 4gb oc
430w Corsair Bronze PSU
2x4gb DDR4 2133 Ram (motherboard supports upto 2133hz)
1TB HDD

Solution
alright the also the minimum PSU for my rx570 is minimum like 500w , when should I upgrade from 430w ?
If it's a good quality 430W unit then it would be fine to use but if it's older and not a good unit then I would replace it soon and before you upgrade the CPU/MB/RAM.

This unit is a excellent quality PSU, has a 10 year warranty and would support newer upgrades including the GPU is desired.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $49.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-27 14:47 EST-0500

WildCard999

Titan
Well at 1080P/60hz (if that's what your using) it's a solid build so there's really nothing else at the moment I'd upgrade but eventually I'd probably go for 3rd generation AMD Ryzen. Probably save up and grab the Ryzen 3600/X570 MB & 2x8gb DDR4 @3200 as that would be a suitable upgrade. Then sell your current CPU/MB/RAM.

Sticky_1

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
Well at 1080P/60hz (if that's what your using) it's a solid build so there's really nothing else at the moment I'd upgrade but eventually I'd probably go for 3rd generation AMD Ryzen. Probably save up and grab the Ryzen 3600/X570 MB & 2x8gb DDR4 @3200 as that would be a suitable upgrade. Then sell your current CPU/MB/RAM.
I believe my Mobo only supports up to 2133hz I think, I bought the PC pre-built have changed the old PSU out with one of my old PSU's, worth it upgrading my MOBO to get one with an nvme slot and supports high ram hz?

WildCard999

Titan
I believe my Mobo only supports up to 2133hz I think, I bought the PC pre-built have changed the old PSU out with one of my old PSU's, worth it upgrading my MOBO to get one with an nvme slot and supports high ram hz?
Nah, while your current setup is decent I wouldn't put any money into it. If you want to do it soon then I'd look at the 2600/B450 MB & 3200 (2x8gb) memory and then sell your current CPU/MB/RAM. For AMD Ryzen memory speeds make a huge difference, like 20 FPS but for Intel it's only like 3 FPS so getting faster memory for your current system is pointless.

Sticky_1

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
Nah, while your current setup is decent I wouldn't put any money into it. If you want to do it soon then I'd look at the 2600/B450 MB & 3200 (2x8gb) memory and then sell your current CPU/MB/RAM. For AMD Ryzen memory speeds make a huge difference, like 20 FPS but for Intel it's only like 3 FPS so getting faster memory for your current system is pointless.
alright the also the minimum PSU for my rx570 is minimum like 500w , when should I upgrade from 430w ?

WildCard999

Titan
If it's a good quality 430W unit then it would be fine to use but if it's older and not a good unit then I would replace it soon and before you upgrade the CPU/MB/RAM.

This unit is a excellent quality PSU, has a 10 year warranty and would support newer upgrades including the GPU is desired.

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Solution

Sticky_1

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

Haven't hooked up a semi-modular psu before mine just has all of the cords coming out of it, do I need to get an external PCI-E to hook up from card to it?

if it is prebuilt then your upgrade path will be severely limited because pre-built PC's are not upgrade friendly especially when it comes to supporting newer CPU's that should be supported by it.. your best bet is to cannibalize the prebuilt and build a new one with a modern ryzen or intel core CPU

WildCard999

Titan
Haven't hooked up a semi-modular psu before mine just has all of the cords coming out of it, do I need to get an external PCI-E to hook up from card to it?
No the PSU will come with all the required cables. The ones that are attached to the PSU are mandatory & then supplemental cables such as the VGA one you need for that RX 570 will be included but you going to have to plug it into the PSU. Everything is labeled so it's easy and due to it being semi-modular cable management is much easier.

Sticky_1

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
if it is prebuilt then your upgrade path will be severely limited because pre-built PC's are not upgrade friendly especially when it comes to supporting newer CPU's that should be supported by it.. your best bet is to cannibalize the prebuilt and build a new one with a modern ryzen or intel core CPU
There are already 3 parts in the PC that I've installed, and it's working just fine. Upgrading to a newer mobo that would support a newer CPU is not a reason to switch out the whole computer lol ...

WildCard999

Titan
There are already 3 parts in the PC that I've installed, and it's working just fine. Upgrading to a newer mobo that would support a newer CPU is not a reason to switch out the whole computer lol ...
I think what captiancharisma means is that one thing that can make it difficult to upgrade a prebuilt is the motherboard layout as some companies such as HP use a custom motherboard which doesn't fit into a normal case and vice-versa where a standard motherboard won't fit into a prebuilt case.

Sticky_1

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
I think what captiancharisma means is that one thing that can make it difficult to upgrade a prebuilt is the motherboard layout as some companies such as HP use a custom motherboard which doesn't fit into a normal case and vice-versa where a standard motherboard won't fit into a prebuilt case.
vI2pCsB.jpg

That's what the inside looks like, it was bought from IBP at best buy around 2-3 years ago.
Some sort of NZXT case
Looks exactly like the NZXT 240
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RHYXsY/nzxt-case-caph240w1

WildCard999

Titan
vI2pCsB.jpg

That's what the inside looks like, it was bought from IBP at best buy around 2-3 years ago.
Some sort of NZXT case
Huh, it's actually quite nice despite cables everywhere. So yea if you get that semi modular Seasonic I would make sure the cables are hidden in the back for the most part as that will help a bit with airflow and temps and make the system look beautiful!

System I built for my friends kid.
9FvfzS4.jpg

Mine. I did update the fans to CM RGB fans but the cables are the same.
V7nsjkK.jpg

Sticky_1

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
Huh, it's actually quite nice despite cables everywhere. So yea if you get that semi modular Seasonic I would make sure the cables are hidden in the back for the most part as that will help a bit with airflow and temps and make the system look beautiful!

System I built for my friends kid.
9FvfzS4.jpg

Mine. I did update the fans to CM RGB fans but the cables are the same.
V7nsjkK.jpg
Those are awesome the cables were very well managed before I switched out the PSU with my old one, plan to start upgrading and building one for my younger brother.

TRENDING THREADS