Computer Upgrade Question

claudehl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi Guys:

I currently have an Intel P4 2.8 (Socket 478 800MHZ) paired with a Nvidia FX5600. I'm contemplating upgrading my system to an AMD Dual Core system (probably the 4400+).

I have noticed that the AMD X2 4400+ is quite expensive at more than $500.00. Question is, should I just upgrade my video card to a Geforce 6800 or a 6600GT and stay with the AGP platform or should I just upgrade to the AMD system and change to a PCI-E system? I would probably get a NF4 w/SLI and use two cards, if I ever needed the extra horse power.

Also with Windows Vista, supposedly will have a 64bit version. Does it make more sense to upgrade when the software will actually be available.

Thanks,
Claude

The big question is are you really ready to spend that big chunk of money, cause theres a lot more involved than just the CPU, the system you have with the highest video upgrade possible for AGP, will play any games available today, I'm counting on prices dropping after Christmas, but you have to ultimately make that decision for yourself.

AMD XP 3200+ / Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe / Corsair XMS PC3200 1024mb LLC2 / ATI X850 Pro / SoundBlaster X-FI / 2 Seagate SATA 7200rpm/8mb / Plextor PX-716A DVDRW

endyen

Splendid
I cant see anyone who bought an FX5600, being that interested in eye candy. Just go with a 6600gt, until next year. Just so you will know, dual cores dont give anything to gaming, maybe in three years. Right now, they just cause problems.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you want faster game performance, just get a better video card. If you want faster CPU performance, your 2.8C should do 3.2-3.5GHz by overclocking.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Latest posts