Computer Upgrade questions

Dec 29, 2018
So i have my current Pc i brought about a year and a half ago and i was looking to upgrade. My current specs are:

CPU: Intel Pentium G4600
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti
SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB
RAM: Crucial CT8G4DFD824A.C16FBD2

I was thinking of replacing my Motherboard to the
MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard

andthe processor to AMD Ryzen 5 2600
plus getting another 8GB stick of ram and a 240gb SSD to install a fresh windows.

However I don't want to replace all my drives and i want to be able to access all my photos and files on my current SSD and HDD on the new build so I was thinking of installing windows onto the new SSD via a USB stick and then adding my old Hard Drive and SSD to the new build. I was wondering whether this would work and what steps I would need to take/ problems I would face ( I have lots of programs for my old motherboard and drivers on my ssd and hdd)

Cheers! ( sorry for the long post )

Solution
That would be a solid upgrade, and you wont have to replace your drives, youll just need make sure they're connected. I kept my drives when i upgraded my system. Your MOBO will have enough SATA connectors for it aswell, the issue here is really making sure you have the space to mount all 3. You'll also need to make sure you boot from the new SSD. The drivers aren't necessarily going to be a big issue, however you can use a driver uninstaller to take care of that.

lthampton

Notable
Jan 8, 2019
That would be a solid upgrade, and you wont have to replace your drives, youll just need make sure they're connected. I kept my drives when i upgraded my system. Your MOBO will have enough SATA connectors for it aswell, the issue here is really making sure you have the space to mount all 3. You'll also need to make sure you boot from the new SSD. The drivers aren't necessarily going to be a big issue, however you can use a driver uninstaller to take care of that.

Solution
Dec 29, 2018

Awesome cheers that's made me feel a little more confident! Would i need to uninstall the drivers on my current PC or once i have connected it to the upgraded build? thanks!

lthampton

Notable
Jan 8, 2019

No, you shouldn't run into any issues with that, as far as your concerned with the drives, its going to be as close to "plug-n-play" as possible. You can clear those drivers after the fact, if you run into any issues with them, but it's entirely possible you wont have a single issue even leaving those drivers on there.

Dec 29, 2018

So would i be able to uninstall windows thats currently on my SSD once its on the new build and free up some space? But that's great thanks!

lthampton

Notable
Jan 8, 2019

Yes, you would be able to.

TRENDING THREADS