[SOLVED] Computer upgrade suggestions

Tommy Prak

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
I am currently looking to either upgrade or make my pc more modern. I built it maybe 2-3 years ago with random parts I could find , now I am wanting to just get the most out of it or even just upgrade a few things. Not really the best combinaton of stuff, just what was available at the time of build. Any suggestions would be great.

Current build
Motherboard-Asus z170-A (Works but I'm not sure how well)
RAM- Trident Z RGB 2x8gb 2400 (Purchased wrong set but I deal)
CPU- i7 7700k
GPU- Msi Armor GTX 1080
PSU- Corsair CX 500 ( Leftover from old build)

I use it for gaming with mods and stuff (Fallout 4, Sims 4) nothing really hardcore, mostly light things.

Would like suggestions on what some others may add or swap out. Budget can be decided when I get some ideas.
-Thanks for helping out.

Solution
If you have the cash, then upgrading just for the sake of it is certainly a thing. I've done it more than once.

RTX3070 or RTX3080 will set you back $500 and $700 respectively, more if you want a fancy one.

i5-10600k is about $300, gets you to six cores. $150 minimum for a motherboard, and you'll be wanting new RAM, so another $100 for a 3200Mhz kit.

NVMe SSD, OS. Your CPU cooler is probably fine, but then the 7700k would be missing a cooler, so budget $50-60 for a high end air cooler.

New PSU is a must for these CPUs/GPUs, fairly high power draw, something like 320W for the RTX3080 (measured) And boosts up to 150W+ draws on the 10th gen chips. More if you overclock.

AMD 3700XT or something like it would be the alternative. X570...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Unless you play some more recent demanding titles, I say leave it. Normally I would say to replace the PSU out of prudence if it is more than 5 years old, but they are very expensive right now. Still not a bad idea.

Maybe go through and replace fans.

You could upgrade the GPU, but it is fine for 1440p 60hz in most games, much more if you play only those titles. A lot depends on what monitor you have.

7700k is still quite decent for single core performance. Would be quite expensive to replace, new motherboard and CPU minimum.

How are you on storage?

I'm basically in the same boat, nothing I run has low enough performance that I would force myself to go and buy the latest things. Might consider Ryzen 4000 when it launches, but probably not. New Nvidia GPUs are tempting, but nothing I play will benefit from it.

Tommy Prak

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Unless you play some more recent demanding titles, I say leave it. Normally I would say to replace the PSU out of prudence if it is more than 5 years old, but they are very expensive right now. Still not a bad idea.

Maybe go through and replace fans.

You could upgrade the GPU, but it is fine for 1440p 60hz in most games, much more if you play only those titles. A lot depends on what monitor you have.

7700k is still quite decent for single core performance. Would be quite expensive to replace, new motherboard and CPU minimum.

How are you on storage?

I'm basically in the same boat, nothing I run has low enough performance that I would force myself to go and buy the latest things. Might consider Ryzen 4000 when it launches, but probably not. New Nvidia GPUs are tempting, but nothing I play will benefit from it.
I wanted to switch to warzone from my One X but Idk if I wanna bother, I use it lightly but like knowing hey I got some power to use you know? I currently have a crucial ssd 500gb for specific games, a 320gb ssd I don't even remember just one I had. I also use a 8tb seagate and 5tb seagate just cause and other random storage devices but its mostly for keeping things for later use.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you have the cash, then upgrading just for the sake of it is certainly a thing. I've done it more than once.

RTX3070 or RTX3080 will set you back $500 and $700 respectively, more if you want a fancy one.

i5-10600k is about $300, gets you to six cores. $150 minimum for a motherboard, and you'll be wanting new RAM, so another $100 for a 3200Mhz kit.

NVMe SSD, OS. Your CPU cooler is probably fine, but then the 7700k would be missing a cooler, so budget $50-60 for a high end air cooler.

New PSU is a must for these CPUs/GPUs, fairly high power draw, something like 320W for the RTX3080 (measured) And boosts up to 150W+ draws on the 10th gen chips. More if you overclock.

AMD 3700XT or something like it would be the alternative. X570 board so you get PCIe 4.0 if that ever becomes relevant.

Reactions: Tommy Prak
Solution