Computer upgrade , worth it ?

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
Hi ,
I wish to know if the following components worth to buy to upgrade my build ?

components to buy:
MB MSI - A320M GRENADE
RAM HYPERX - 8GB 2400MHZ DDR4 CL15 HYPERX FURY BL
CPU AMD Rysen 5 1400

My current build is :
CPU:Amd a8 6600k
GPU:Amd r9 280x
PSU:corsair vs550
RAM:corsair xms3 8gb ddr3 memory
MB:msi a88xm-e35
HDD: WD blue 1tb 7200rpm
CPU cooler : CM tx3 evo

Solution
It will be a good upgrade, but I would not go for the A320 board. Spend the extra money and get the B350 so you can overclock. If you are not going to overclock, then go with Intel.
it's a worthy upgrade, hyperthreading, better IPC, newer architecture, more power efficient, less power hungry :) also can be OCed later on... should u require the extra performance

but, don't get the A320, even if u're not planning to OC it [anytime soon, as having a way of squeezing extra performance later on would be really beneficial] Ryzen CPUs are all unlocked, it would be a waste to pair it with a locked mobo in the first place...
get a B350, and try to find the variant with 4 RAM slot, maybe something like MSI B350 PC Mate / Asrock B350 Pro4

would be better if u get a faster RAM, something rated as 3200mhz perhaps... Ryzen performs better with faster RAMs...

would also recommend a PSU change, VS lineup from Corsair are known to be a low quality... perhaps change to something like CX550M / Seasonic M12II 520w if u're on a budget, or G3 550w / TXM 550w if u had more money to spend... they had better efficiency, reassuring quality, and more safe...

rob.salewytsch

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
I would avoid the CX line of PSU's. Arguably they are low tier 2 or high tier 3.

If you aren't going to OC, why not go with the i5 8400? If you don't need to upgrade right now, there will be cheaper intel boards for coffee lake in Q1 of 2018. Otherwise, you can get the Z370 (which has some pretty good sales right now)

Either way, faster RAM.

The new CX line with grey logo are decent units, the old green logo units a crap. The seasonic S12II and M12II doesn't have OCP (Over Current Protection) and is thus not a safe unit.
For PSU go Corsair CX if on a budget or go Corsair RMx, Seasonic Focus or EVGA G3 if you want a high quality PSU.

Get faster RAM as already suggested and not just a single stick, but a dual channel kit 2x4 GB or 2x8 GB.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014

thanks for your suggestion I will the prices of B350 . Intel is more expensive

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014

hum okay I wil think about that boards that can be overclocked . well on faster memory gives more performance ...can be true but maybe don´t worth the money .
About the PSU mine has lasted all the years since I bought my pc , has 3 almost 4 years and still strong , When I bought it on a store the guy said that this PSU can be hotter some times but they last long ... anyway if the PSU gives me any problem I already had thinked on a Seasonic S12II 620W.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014

Thanks , Well I thinked all of you guys suggested all about the same xD
I will think about the 2x4gb ram , I only had thinked on 8gb because later on on games demand more than 8gb I will put another 8gb and then I am workinmg on dual channel either . About ram speed I think simply don´t worth it , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajbr0lJDVvk&t=272s

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014

Because the intel is more expensive , The cpu itself is more expensive and the motherboards too .

rob.salewytsch

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017

So I wouldn't trust just one video. Reviewers are prone to mistakes by not considering all aspects of the components.

If you read the comments on that video, multiple people had comments as to why those results were showing. One reason supports your decision and another refutes it. The one that supports your claim was that the processor was not powerful enough to matter due to its small amount of L3 Cache.

However, the larger point (which was mentioned multiple times in the comments), and the one that refutes your position is that the GPU was bottlenecked and thus it couldn't push out any more frames. Had they used a better GPU, or reduced the resolution or quality or w/e, you would have seen a difference.

That being said, it is your cash and your computer. We just offered opinions.

that's why i said get a mobo with 4 RAM slot, even if u go with the 2x4, at least u can add another 2x4 later on, or sometimes, it's possible to add a 2x8 instead [if u're lucky enough with the compatibility :)]

for the ram speed, the Ryzen line up does benefits much more than Intel's lineup from them at a certain situation, so i think it's pretty worth it :)

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014

I appreciate your opinions about ram speeds but for me that story about ram speeds increasing performance it´s been said since always and never have increased very very much .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4k_ErEg-FU&t=269s

for me simply don´t worth it , if the fast ram improves ? yes on some games , but I think don´t worth it , worth more if I buy some better gpu on future .

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014

Yes I had understand that , I will think about that too thanks . About ram speed you have many videos like this one here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4k_ErEg-FU&t=269s , that show that some games can have better performance others not so much on gaming , on working like rendering videos or editing things can worth more but the focus here is for games .

There are no guaranties that adding 2x4 GB more later will work. We see this too often that adding more ram, even exact same model, will cause compatibility issues. There is a reason they sell RAM in kits, they come from same batch and are tested to work together.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014

If you buy the exact same RAM models they should work fine ... I did that on my build , I started with one single ram with 4 gb and later I added the same RAM model and the same 4gb making 8gb . Is working fine for 2 years . If for some reason doesn´t work I can simple return the memory and try another solutions ... Even RAM with same CL with diffrent models should work , only if the RAM doesn´t have the same CL will not work .

They may work yes, but they may also not work. Again we have seen this happen too often. Even same model may not be completely the same if it comes from a different batch. This is a common problem, many posts in these forums from people who cannot boot the computer after adding more RAM.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014

okay but I can buy one kit of 4gb + 4gb and some time later by the same kit , right ?

Why did you come here asking advice on a computer build and discredit and argue with everything everyone says? If you already know everything why even ask from the beginning? We know that you don't know what you are doing by your responses. We are trying to help, but you don't want to be helped.

The truth is, RAM speeds certainly matter with Ryzen CPUs due to infinity fabric latency. In the past, RAM speeds did not matter much, but RAM speed scales very well with Ryzen CPUs. I would not build a Ryzen system with RAM that is lower than 3000mhz. Typically, there is not much of a price difference anyway. You cant go by one video on youtube, you need to take a look at a lot of content. Not because you should not believe everything you see on the internet, but because there are an infinite number of hardware combinations and each one will have difference results in applications.

You are buying a dual channel board and you are getting one stick of RAM. Do not do this. I see comments everyday on the forum from OPs who have issues mixing and matching RAM. First, there is a chance that one stick may not even work. It might work, but it is not guaranteed. Most motherboard manuals don't recommend using one stick, they recommend using pairs. You may think you are trying to save money by buying one stick now and getting one later, but there is a reasonable chance that the one you get later wont work. Even if you get one that is the same model. So what happens then is you buy a 16gb kit and have to sell your 8gb stick used and you wont get much, if anything for it because people that know what they are doing don't buy single sticks. So in the end, by trying to save money and getting one stick of RAM, it will cost you more because you will end up buying 3 sticks.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014

calm down , 1st thanks for all the answers ... I asked for opinions about the build and I apreaciate all the answer , only have different opinions but I am earing all the opinions lol . I don´t know everything but have some experience too .... has many people here for example says that my PSU is bad and did not gave to me any problems at all until today and was reccomended for someone who works at this for years on a very experienced store ... so the persons only have different no one can say I am right until have the system build , on my case for example who said that my psu is bad for gaming , my psu was not handle my gpu , all that things was not very right at all ... abou the Ram speeds already seen that 2 videos and really makes difference but not so much , only on high end gpus , if videos don´t say the true so what says the true ? opinions on internet never are really true or really false , one thing is sure one game will not be unplayable because ram speeds ... The APU´s series also claimed that ram speeds wil also improve performance .... and many other people have said the same on another cpus all the time it´s only googling for that , that discussion will always exist ... anyway I will take a look on that , but If I see like 10 websites or videos showig that with mid range gpu´s I will win 3 or 4 fps or less I will not buy more expensive rams , for me not worth . Researching a bit more on some games can reach to 10 more fps ( on softwares and rendering stuff it´s a more obvious improvement ) anyway my focus is on gaming when I will going to build the system I will think on all the advices here. I will think about that ram speeds maybe I will be with 3200 mhz to be safe , but on some other games that gain about 2 fps it´s a waste of money anyway , so it really depens on what build do you have ( cpu and gpu ) if you have a high end gpu I don´t that the ram speed will make the game playable or not ... but if you have a mid range cpu maybe can help on some limit between playable or not or reduce some stuttring maybe , so many thanks to all , I am not here to say that everyone is wrong , I was reading all the answers carefully like always on this forum , and respect all off them !

As I said before my RAM sticks was not bought at the same time and my build works fine .... 0 memory errors , of course I can have some problem some day doing that but is not so common like you say .... if was so , How someone can have a memory upgrade ?!

As already said many times, yes it may work and it did for you. But we also see many OPs here where it doesn't work. Just because it did work for you last time doesn't mean it will also work next time.
In the end, if you wanna do 1 stick now and another later then by all means do that. Just don't come here asking what to do when it turns out it doesn't work.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014

in the case you didin´t see my answer about ram speeds above :" Researching a bit more on some games can reach to 10 more fps ( on softwares and rendering stuff it´s a more obvious improvement ) anyway my focus is on gaming when I will going to build the system I will think on all the advices here. I will think about that ram speeds maybe I will be with 3200 mhz to be safe , but on some other games that gain about 2 fps it´s a waste of money anyway , so it really depens on what build do you have ( cpu and gpu ) if you have a high end gpu I don´t that the ram speed will make the game playable or not ... but if you have a mid range cpu maybe can help on some limit between playable or not or reduce some stuttring maybe , so many thanks to all , I am not here to say that everyone is wrong , I was reading all the answers carefully like always on this forum , and respect all off them ! "

About the ram comaptibility , I am not right neither wrong can happen to fail two rams work toghether of course , but I know that ! Apreciate your answer as all answers here 1 more time . You don´t need to get stressed out , I am only talking with you , everyone have different opinions , Maybe I can be unlucky one day , and you´re right I should have buy the RAM the way you said and I hope that I can , will be a good sign . My question now is ,if I put 4 + 4 gb of ram and some day I put another 4+ 4gb and doesn´t work ? I have to sell all to buy 8+8gb ?

I can assure you that on a Ryzen system, RAM speed will benefit a lot. Don't compare this to benchmark using older AMD or Intel CPUs.
For your last question, yes you will have to sell to get all new 2x8 GB, which will cost you more as you will not get the same money for some used RAM. After all, those who know what they are doing would never buy RAM on the second hand market.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014

Okay thank you . I didin´t say that I will bought second hand RAM , My plan is make an upgrade will all new , not used .

What do you think about this kit ?
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-3000MHz-PC4-24000-Memory/dp/B0123ZBPDA?th=1

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
One.can you two use the "post an answer" button instead of the "reply to" since this is hard to read with all the unnecessary quotes.

See you mention this time and time,but no reviewer had any problems with these units looking at this from what i recall. Might want to read up about OCP and why they have no issues with these units.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-power-supply-protections/4/

I am using the post an answer button. I just hit the quote button first.