Computer very slow after a repair

avinashbhujan

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
I had bought a new GTX 1060 last week to replace my Radeon HD 7950 Boost but when I installed it on my system, after 5 minutes of use, the screen started flickering badly and I had to immediately switch off. I left the PC at a repair shop and they replaced the unstable PSU. I had also given them two additional sticks of memory - each 8GB for a final 32 GB RAM.
Now given that the fan of my liquid cooler is just milliliters away from my RAM sticks, they had to unscrew one of the fans because one of its blades crashed against a RAM stick and broke. Yesterday they called and told me that I could collect my PC. I checked it and confirmed that everything was normal and bought it home.
When I started my PC at home however I noticed the system was a bit slow. I tried to compress a 5 GB file just for testing while listening to music at the same time. During the compression the music cut out frequently. Now I launched Far Cry 5 game and the lag was unimaginable to me. The game took nearly 10 minutes just to get me to the loading screen.
I have already uninstalled old AMD drivers and installed the latest Nvidia drivers.
I not sure what is causing this lag although I suspect it might be due to the single cooler fan and high CPU temp (98ºC).
If you have any idea please help.
Thanks.

Solution
If you are hitting 98 Degrees on your CPU, then your system is definitely encountering thermal throttling. This is usually an automated response to a seriously high temperature where the CPU's speed is reduced to counter the temperature.

In short if your CPU is hitting 98 Degrees you have an insufficient cooling solution for your machine. You should look into replacing the cooler with a more efficient model or at the absolute least select a fan that can pass more air through it.

Is the fan obstructed? Is the case you are using fully closed or does it have front/top mesh panels for better airflow? are you suing it in a room where the ambient temperature is quite high already?

Just for an example I have an Intel Core i9 7920X CPU...

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
If you are hitting 98 Degrees on your CPU, then your system is definitely encountering thermal throttling. This is usually an automated response to a seriously high temperature where the CPU's speed is reduced to counter the temperature.

In short if your CPU is hitting 98 Degrees you have an insufficient cooling solution for your machine. You should look into replacing the cooler with a more efficient model or at the absolute least select a fan that can pass more air through it.

Is the fan obstructed? Is the case you are using fully closed or does it have front/top mesh panels for better airflow? are you suing it in a room where the ambient temperature is quite high already?

Just for an example I have an Intel Core i9 7920X CPU and a 1080Ti When I play Far Cry 5 at 4K I hit around 52 Degrees and the i9 series chips are considdered pretty hot due in part to certain design choices made by intel.

Solution
if i was the shop owner and i broke a fan blade or one of my workers did i be replacing the cooler with the same or better unit at no charge to you. with the cpu getting that hot you dont know if there any damage done to it now. the shop has some liablity issue now if it let you walk out of the shop with a cpu cooler that was missing fan blades.

avinashbhujan

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013

Thanks. I had my liquid cooler repaired and also changed my casing to Silverstone Primera PM01. Now the temperatures are normal again. On idle it goes as low as 26 C. And on full load it goes to a max of 60 C.