Question Computer virus Need help

Jun 23, 2019
So I don’t know how this happened or whether it was my fault or not but that’s not really important right now.

Windows gave me a bunch of warnings about a virus being detected.

It said it was severe and someone was trying to take control of my pc using a program or something. Then for some reason my windows antivirus disabled itself and the computer started having problems.

I was unable to enable the antivirus again and I realized my computer was not as responsive. It took like 4 seconds to type something and apps wouldn’t open. Also for some reason the google chrome logo changed (related?).

I opened task manager to see what was up and here were about a hundred extra things running that shouldn’t have been. Almost all of them being called score or another one whose name I do not remember. This noticeably panicked me and I tried to reset my computer to an earlier save.

No luck it would not allow me to restore my computer. For some reason out of nowhere I heard some pop music play on my computer. When checking the volume mixer there was some weird program there making the music. It’s logo was several squares most being orange stuck together and had the name “FHKABPC”.

To me this seemed as if my computer was being remotely controlled by someone so I rebooted it in safe mode without internet and tried to allow myself to factory reset or uninstall the program causing the issue. After following several YouTube videos that claimed would allow me to be able to factory reset my computer I gave up.

I don’t know what to do I cannot reformat the disks/factory reset. I’m afraid of having it on to further test things because I feel they may be taking my data while the internet is connected.

What could this be? What suggestions do you guys have?

Also if I just removed the hard drives and added a brand new fresh one there would be no possibility of it somehow becoming infected right?

I have little experience with dealing with viruses. I do not usually do anything too risky for my computer but someone may have done something like this without my knowledge.

How else can I reset my drives? And if I dumped them and just got new ones there’s not chance the virus is somehow stored somewhere else in my computerlike on the MB storage or something?

Also what kind of data could they have taken from me and what should I do to protect myself aside from the obvious change my passwords?

Sorry for the block of text but I’m worried and I need my computer working as fast as possible.

[Moderator Note: edited post to break up "wall of text.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Removing hard drives and buying new ones is a bit drastic...

Do you have data you need off of the current OS drive?

Most folks can reinstall WIndows pretty quickly....

Do you have installation media? (if it becomes necessary) (If using Win10, you can make USB installer directly from Microsoft)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sorry, wish I could be of more help than this...

Score(s) was an old macintosh virus, so that's out.

Score-stars is a redirect adware virus that could be what you are dealing with. The original pop up could easily have been fake then your interaction installed it. According to your OS, update level, and other settings it is certainly possible that someone could take remote control of your computer. Obviously unplugging it from the internet and/or turning it off was a good move there.

If you have another computer in the house you may be able to place your drive into an external enclosure or dock and scan it. Keep in mind that the host computer for this process should have good up to date AV software and fully updated OS. I wouldn't leave it to someone not familiar with dealing with a possibly infected drive as you could easily end up with two.

If you have your installation media, I would blow it out, reinstall OS and move forward. Hopefully you have all your important files backed up in some way and your keys handy for programs. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change passwords, particularly to your important sites if they were stored in the computer with the virus.
In settings there is a checkbox for "allow remote connections" (Windows 10, possibly some earlier versions) I would suggest after getting back up that you uncheck it. Keep in mind that if you inadvertently click some pop up without knowing what it is/does, that won't matter, but it doesn't hurt.

I would suggest that you get a better AV solution. Might even consider setting your box up with two accounts. One admin with a strong password and then a user account (no admin authority) with a weaker/normal password to use on the day to day.

If your computer s a pre-built,/OEM system, many have hidden restore partitions too allow restoring to 'like new' condition....

Other alternatives would be (using an uninfected system) to make a bootable scanner, such as Kaspersky Rescue CD, or Defender offline...

(Many warnings of infections and someone taking control of your computer are merely website hijack/redirects in an attempt to get you to buy support or a 'fix' in a panic,(especially ironic, in that their website or code is often the source of the infection); think about it..if they had control of your computer ....why on earth would they warn you? :)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Almost impossible for that to be an issue.

When you boot up you will want to hit whatever key gives your boot from options such that (if you ever changed) boot from USB happens first. Use the advanced options to blow the current partion(s) and allow the installer to create what it needs.

I will try these suggestions and get back to you guys. But is it possible for my USB install of windows to corrupt if I plug it in an attempt to reinstall windows?

Anyone can create a new USB WIndows installation media within 4-6 minutes anyway with any serviceable 8 GB USB flash drive, so, it is not as if we are risking the cost of a 'WIndows'...; it is the license key that shipped with WIndows OEM or Retail that is valuable, and, even that should not be required if the previous install were successfully activated...