Computer was stored for nine months, now it won't start.

CKaleb

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
Greetings, I have a very strange issue with my computer, specs are as follows:

Intel Core i7 3770k.
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Extreme.
32gb of ram.
Corsair h100 cpu heatsink.
x2 GTX 680 in SLI.
1000w xfx power supply
256gb ssd and 2tb harddrive.

I built this computer around November 2012, and only used until September 2013 with zero issues, I was working abroad and then moved back to my country (South America) at that time, I unplugged and packed the computer, and was stored for about nine months until a week ago, the computer traveled inside the case's box which was inside an SUV of a family member which was shipped inside a container (the box did not move inside the vehicle at all, as it was safely secured)

when I unpacked my computer and plugged it (24 hours after receiving it back), I noticed that the motherboard leds do turn on, but the computer itself won't, I tried the steps described in the checklist to no success.

I tried the power supply on an older computer, and it worked, which makes me believe that its not the psu.

Its worth mentioning that a few times, the computer started but didn't POST, all fans started, but no beeps from the internal speaker, this has only happened 2-3 times, the rest of the time the computer won't start at all.

Is there anything else I can try? Is it perhaps a motherboard issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: If its of any help I just noticed that as soon as I switch the psu on and the motherboard leds light up, a small red light lights up on the upper front of the case (CoolerMaster HAF X, the light is next to an lightning icon) and its always on until I switch the psu off, I don't remember that it did that before,

CKaleb

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

I replugged everything, both GPU cards, CPU, CMOS Battery, all power cables, RAM, ssd, hdd, but no dice.

CKaleb

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

On mine: Cooler Master h100. on the one I tested my psu at (my brother's computer), a Zalman cooler, I don't know the model.

I just realized that as soon as I flip the psu on, this lights up on my case http://imgur.com/uAg4P6H (I don't know why the picture is upside down sorry D:) and as far as I remember, that should only light up when the computer is on, which isn't happening. I hope this is of any help.

187Flatliner

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

i have the haf x and mine also has a red light on all the time.

187Flatliner

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
do you have any more thermal paste..... i would next change and reseat the cpu with new paste......you said it posted a few times but wouldnt go to the main screen which might be a sign of cpu temp overheat........

CKaleb

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

Even when the system is off? I thought it could have something to do with mine not turning on at all.

CKaleb

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

It never actually posted, all fans light up then nothing else happens, everything was working perfectly months ago though.

CKaleb

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

How can I check? My system is connected to a ups (same one as before)

CKaleb

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

I checked the top panel with the help of a friend and everything was ok.

However I found out that the water cooler for the processor was spilling its fluid, which got into the motherboard...

So I guess that the motherboard is dead now, hopefully everything else is still operational :(

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

In manufacturing electronics, one final step is to put electronic boards into a dishwasher to clean them. Water is not destructive. But must be properly removed so that electronics can work properly. You have no reason to believe water caused hardware damage; only caused a temporary fault that is eliminated when dry.

You are wildly creating suspects and then trying to accuse them. CPU was nowhere in your list of suspects. And with thermal paste and other changes, you may have only made things exponentially more complicated.

Even removing the PSU did not provide useful facts and now may have added new complications.

Before anything can work, the power system must be known good. PSU is only one system part. To move forware, you must eliminate virtually every part as a suspect - starting with the many parts of the power system. That means one minute of labor, a digital meter, and some instructions. Since what you describe, for example, could be the power controller detecting a failure and immediately cutting off power to everything.

You have two choices. Either keep replacing good parts until something works. Also called shotgunning. Or follow the evidence. That starts by exonerating the entire power system or accusing one part of that system. Described are the three items you need to start a 'follow the evidence' strategy.

CKaleb

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

Sorry for the late response, turns out the h100i's liquid did damage my motherboard and CPU (tested cpu in a different computer and won't boot, same with motherboard) had to get replacements for both of them :(

Thanks for all the advice everyone!