Computer was stuck in sleep mode - I pulled the plug. Now it won't respond to pushing the power button.

Nov 26, 2018
I booted into Windows 10 on my newly built computer which has been working fine for several days. I left home for a little while and put it into sleep mode. When I came back, the light on the side of my case which indicates that the computer is sleeping was flashing, as it should have been. I pressed the space key to try waking the computer and nothing happened -- strange, I thought. The light kept flashing. I pushed the power button to wake it. Nothing. I figured that if I turned it off, I could reboot and get back to work. I held the power button for five or ten seconds -- the light on it indicating that the computer was sleeping just kept flashing. I then pulled the power cable and the light kept flashing for a few seconds, before stopping. I plugged the cable back in and pushed the power button -- nothing.

This is happening with the MSI B450-A Pro motherboard.

I figure that the computer thinks, for some reason, that it is still in sleep mode, even though I think that it should be powered off. I tried taking the CMOS battery out and resetting it that way, but when I put the battery back in and tried rebooting the computer, nothing changed. The power supply seems to be working correctly -- I've tested it. Is there some way that I can fix this?

EDIT: Whenever I want to turn on the PC, if I turn off the PSU and then hold the power button for ten seconds or so, then turn the PSU back on and press the power button, it works. How can I get rid of this behavior and just have the system power on when I push the power button?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I think your power supply does not support the windows sleep modes, do not set for sleep or hibernate. on or off.
windows is telling the PSU to turn it on but that part of the PSU is not there (older PSU's) so nothing happens.
what are your specs?

Nov 26, 2018

Thanks for the reply. Here are my specs:
MSI B450-A Pro
16 GB DDR4 @ 2666
Ryzen 7 1700X
Radeon HD 7850
450 W G-Series Seasonic PSU

Nov 26, 2018

I've had the PSU for under three years. Used it in an older build before the current one. I couldn't find anything in the manual mentioning the c6 or c7 power states.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

this was an issue when intel released haswell. the untra low power states were not supported by many PSU and well you know, no wake up calls.
the PSU predates the ryzen architecture by 2 years.

others have issues with ryzen windows and the sleep function
https://hardforum.com/threads/ryzen-sleep-issue-setting.1961012/

Nov 26, 2018

That makes sense. Do you think problems with the PSU might also explain why I have trouble turning the computer on?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
if the PC goes into a sleep state the only way to fix it is to reset the PSU, pressing and holding the power button, then the system will/should start fine.
reboot the PSU to reboot the system. is that what you mean with trouble turning on?

Nov 26, 2018

Well, kinda. When I get it to boot into Windows and then subsequently shut it down (not putting it in sleep mode), I get problems when I try to turn it on again. If I press the power button, nothing happens. I have to turn off the PSU, hold the power button for ~10 seconds, then turn the PSU on again and then can power it on.

Nov 26, 2018

Well, since I won't be in a position to test the PSU until the middle of December, should I leave this thread open until then, or close it and start a new one then?

TRENDING THREADS