[SOLVED] Computer was working fine. But suddenly won't post. Guidance on how to troubleshoot?

Jul 7, 2021
Hey folks,

I'm hoping y'all might be able to help me diagnose the cause of a problem I'm having.

For the last week or so, sometimes when I powered on the computer, it would post, then move on to starting windows. It would display the windows logo with the spinning dots underneath and then the screen would go blank and one of the two fans on the GPU would immediately start spinning at full speed. The only way to shut the computer down was to press and hold the power button.

At first, powering down and back up solved the problem. Then, some of the time when it would hang after the windows logo, if I restarted the computer, it wouldn't even post. The case fans would all turn on, and one GPU fan (but not both) would spin at maximum. Powering off and on a few times would eventually lead to a successful boot up. But now, it won't post at all. It powers up, case fans spin and one graphics card fan runs at full speed. But no post.

Any advice on how to start troubleshooting this? I imagine it could be any number of things.

Specs:
Motherboard: H97M Anniversary Edition
CPU: i7 4790k (not currently overclocked, but bought used)
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Power supply: EVGA 850w G3
RAM: 16 MB (can't recall brand right now)

I'm happy to provide any other information or clarify anything. Thanks for your help.

Solutions Attempted to no effect:
Reseated graphics card.
Switched which PSU ports the graphics card was plugged into.
Removed each ram stick individually.
Reset CMOS using jumpers and also by removing battery.

Last edited:
Solution
Many issues can cause the system to fail during post as you said so it's best to follow a guide. Check the following guide and report back.

Hey folks,

I'm hoping y'all might be able to help me diagnose the cause of a problem I'm having.

For the last week or so, sometimes when I powered on the computer, it would post, then move on to starting windows. It would display the windows logo with the spinning dots underneath and then the screen would go blank and one of the two fans on the GPU would immediately start spinning at full speed. The only way to shut the computer down was to press and hold the power button.

At first, powering down and back up solved the problem. Then, some of the time when it would hang after the windows logo, if I restarted the computer, it wouldn't even post. The case fans would all turn on, and one GPU fan (but not both) would spin at maximum. Powering off and on a few times would eventually lead to a successful boot up. But now, it won't post at all. It powers up, case fans spin and one graphics card fan runs at full speed. But no post.

Any advice on how to start troubleshooting this? I imagine it could be any number of things.

Specs:
Motherboard: H97M Anniversary Edition
CPU: i7 4790k (not currently overclocked, but bought used)
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Power supply: EVGA 850w G3
RAM: 16 MB (can't recall brand right now)

I'm happy to provide any other information or clarify anything. Thanks for your help.
have you tried clearing the cmos?

Reactions: Oops_Confirmed
Many issues can cause the system to fail during post as you said so it's best to follow a guide. Check the following guide and report back.

Solution