Computer will either boot or won't boot, and I don't know why.

fuzmaster

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
So I just recently been coming across this issue and idk if it's from the recent windows 10 update or not and I don't want to rule out that possibility. Recently my computer has been slowly starting ranging from 10 min to turning on when I got to bed and waking up to the possibility of being at the the login screen. This just started happening around a month ago and I think it first started from a power outage one time during the summer or when we were messing with the fuses down below. Either way I would turn it on, and it would boot and it would a long time for the bios splash screen to show up, and windows loading, then finally to the login screen. Now randomly, when pressing a button to get to the password screen, it wouldn't show it (the time would swoop by and you still have your wallpaper and it would take a long time for the password and profile pic to show up). And it just keeps getting worse to the point where I'm finally able to boot my computer up but afraid to turn it off, worried that this issue might happen again.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($332.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($120.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.05 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.71 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.71 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.68 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($299.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ OutletPC)

Notes - One of the 1 tb drives has some loading issues sometimes but it still works, and the tower is a regular atx tower I picked up a local vendor. My os is stored in ssd and the build is around 2-3 years old.

I think the issue maybe one the hard drives is loading slowly, and it's playing catchup so it can load properly, I'm not sure.

fuzmaster

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

I have half left, and I think, idk if that's the thing causing it though.

Half is very good. you should never fill them past 90%.
PSU woudl be my next in line, except just now i thought of this: check that your SATA cables are properly plugged(unplug and replug them).
If still teh same, unplug the HDD optical whatever, only leaving the SDD system drive.

fuzmaster

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

I'll see what I can do, I think it may be one of the drives though.

TRENDING THREADS