Computer Will Not Boot

bryceray1121

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
I suspect this may be a hardware related issue but i'm not sure.

Here is my problem:
I turn on my computer and it loads to the "Starting Window" Animation. The animation begins and then the computer reboots and this continues to loop.
System repair causes the computer to reboot
Safe mode causes the computer to reboot
Restore to last successful configuration causes the computer to reboot

I've also tried loading a unbuntu live cd. It loads and I select to run ubuntu without installing. It begins to load, then the computer reboots.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions on what might be happening and how to fix it?

bryceray1121

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
I will give both of these things a trial tonight when I go home. Another piece of information is that it was working fine. The last thing I changed was I upgraded my graphics driver about 1-2 weeks ago. But it has run just fine since then. I can't think of any other changes or new software since then. The only possible change was if windows installed a bad update. The computer was working perfectly at night and when I woke up in the morning I couldn't get it to turn on.

bryceray1121

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
I Disabled automatic restart. However, now instead of rebooting the system is just turning off so this does me no good. I tried changing bios by "Loading Optimized Defaults", settings the first load to cd, and loading ubuntu. Same thing as before, ubuntu menu comes up and i select to load ubuntu (not install), it begins to load, and then the computer turns off.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

bryceray1121

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
I Finally got it to display a blue screen message, this is what it reads:

A problem has been deteced and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen ...

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS membory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0X0000007E (0xc0000005, ...)

Collecting data for crash dump...
initializing disk for crash dump ...
beginning dump of physical memory.
Dumping physical memory to disk: 100
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your sys admin ...

Note: I have also now removed all non-essential components.

Edit:
I've now run the seagate harddrive DOS tool (both the long and short test) and both times the test resulted in a pass grade. I've also run memtest and it passed.

Another Edit:
When trying to load into safe mode it stops at the line:
\windows\sstem32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.sys
it pauses for about 7 seconds, then the computer turns off

At this point I'm stumped as to what could be the problem. Any suggestions?

bryceray1121

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
I have the disk I used to install Windows 7, is that the same as the boot disk (if not where can I get a windows 7 iso boot disk, I can't seem to find one)? If so, I attempted to run that and it began to load up but then the computer turned off before it got to a point where there was anything besides the low res windows background.

The fact that the computer switches off when running the Windows disk means that there is a hardware fault and that you can forget about the software or the hard disk format being the cause of your problem.
Possible causes of your problem in order of probability are

Faulty power supply. Check by substitution
Too high processor temperature, check temperatures in the BIOS are all fans running?
Unintentional overclocking, make sure BIOS settings are at defaults.
Faulty RAM, try running a memory test program.
Faulty motherboard (unlikely)

bryceray1121

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

I googled this and the best answer I could find was that it was related to memory. So I ran memtest86 one full set and it passed. I might try removing one mem stick at a time and seeing if I'm able to boot.

I'm also going to try replacing my power supply tonight with a spare one and see if that helps.

bryceray1121

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Ok I now think I've tried everything minus the motherboard.
Today I replaced the psu with one that I know works and the problem persisted.
Next, I removed each ram stick one at a time and tried all combination's and the problem persisted.
Lastly, I plugged the computer into a different surge protector in a different outlet. This too did not work.

Any last suggestions on what could be causing this problem? I'm not sure how to test the motherboard, but I feel like I've tested everything else.

Thanks for your help.

The 0x7E bug check is SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. This is not caused by improper AHCI settings for the SATA and/or IDE controller in the BIOS. Those settings typically cause 0x7B (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE) or 0xED (UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME) bug checks.

Since this happens with both an installed OS, and a Live OS disk, I wonder if perhaps you have a heat problem? As you said, you've swapped in every part except the motherboard and the problem persists. Pull up your CPU heatsink and see if the thermal paste needs replacing? Or if the heatsink is making proper contact with the CPU at all?

bryceray1121

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

Today I pulled out the heat sink and processor. I cleaned both including dust removal and cleaning off the old thermal paste. I then applied new thermal paste and put everything back together.

Despite this, the problem persists without any change.

Unless anyone else has another suggestion I'm probably going to have to take it in to have the motherboard tested because I do not have a spare motherboard to test it myself.

MJFixit

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

I Know it has been over 2 years ago, but what did you ever do about this problem???