Question Computer will not post after installing new memory? Tried multiple methods with still no success

adandd44

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
Around four years ago I purchased a computer from Scan 3XS Systems. It has been fine up until this point where I wanted to get new memory for the pc.

I do know quite a bit about computers but due to the case it has been nothing but a issue trying to swap out the memory on the micro atx motherboard.

I purchased HyperX HX318C10FRK2/16 FURY Red, 16 GB, 1866 MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM (Kit of 2) from Amazon and it has been so difficult to deal with swapping out the old memory and putting the new in. When we first installed the new ram the pc would turn on but would not post and the DRAM LED was staying a solid red color. I attempted trying one ram stick at a time to see if it would post but it still wouldn't still showing the DRAM LED with the solid red color. Next I attempted to put the old ram back in and enable the XMP profile as I was thinking that maybe the memory limit of 1600mhz that the i5 4690k can use needed to be adjusted?. The old memory still works in the computer.I made sure the profile was enabled and proceeded to switch off the computer and install the new ram. However this time it began to go into a boot loop. The dram led was not on anymore however there were No post beeps or anything. I read online that resetting the CMOS battery can help so I tried this as well. This proved really difficult as the battery was places right next to the fan. But once taken out and replaced it just repeated the first issue where the pc would boot but not post. I also made sure that the power option is on balanced. The ram is not on the QVL however I have read that this isn't updated often and someone with the same memory had a fine experience matching it with the Z97I mobo

My system specifications are

i5 4690k
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 RAM clocked at 1333mhz
EVGA GTX 970 Superoverclocked
2 TB HDD
120 GB SSD
ASUS z97i Plus Motherboard

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

adandd44

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

So you were completely replacing the old RAM with the new?
And neither of the new RAM modules worked by themselves, tested in each slot?
Assuming you reset CMOS before each install?
Thank you!
No neither of the ram modules worked by themselves. Oddly enough when I put the old ram modules back in I tried to boot with a single stick (4GBs) and it would not post then. Only when I put the other 4GB stick in it would post.
And yes I reset the CMOS battery each time.

adandd44

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
If you are able to get the PC to power up normally, you can run memtest on a bootable USB.
I can get the pc to boot up normally with the old memory. And I have done memtests in the past. But I'm not entirely sure how that would help with the new memory? As the old memory seems to work fine but only when both of the dimms are in.

adandd44

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
You asked this, so my response was memtest can test them for being defective, that was all :)
How long has the PC run normally without the additional memory?
But I can't test the new memory to see if it defective since the pc won't post ):?
However the PC has had the same memory since December 2014 and it has had no issues.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
But I can't test the new memory to see if it defective since the pc won't post ):?
However the PC has had the same memory since December 2014 and it has had no issues.
That's why my initial statement said:
If you are able to get the PC to power up normally, you can run memtest on a bootable USB.

As obviously it doesn't need to boot into an OS, wasn't sure if you were able to get to BIOS at all that was all :)
Well if you can't even test the new RAM, i'd be tempted to return it anyway, only real way of being able to effectively test if it's defective is by swapping it for a known working component.

It's certainly less likely that 2 RAM modules arrive DOA, but it has happened. Assuming your previous RAM wasn't overclocked in any way prior to the new installation?

Is the new RAM on the QVL at all? I know this isn't a be all end all, but it may be worth seeing if it is simply a compatibility issue.

adandd44

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
That's why my initial statement said:

As obviously it doesn't need to boot into an OS, wasn't sure if you were able to get to BIOS at all that was all :)
Well if you can't even test the new RAM, i'd be tempted to return it anyway, only real way of being able to effectively test if it's defective is by swapping it for a known working component.

It's certainly less likely that 2 RAM modules arrive DOA, but it has happened. Assuming your previous RAM wasn't overclocked in any way prior to the new installation?

Is the new RAM on the QVL at all? I know this isn't a be all end all, but it may be worth seeing if it is simply a compatibility issue.
Kingston memory is on the QVL however the last updated qvl was in 2015 so I really don't know how correct this is. But HyperX itself isn't on there.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...97I-PLUS_Z97I-PLUS_New_Memory_test_report.pdf

Ralston18

Titan
If the computer posts with all other components and the original memory but fails to do so with the new memory, then, by elimination, the new memory is highly suspect. All other things being constant.

Do you have access to another computer where you could try the new RAM?

Do you have access to additional RAM that you could try in your computer. Maybe borrow RAM from a family member or friend?

Agree with @PC Tailor - RMA the memory and try again with a new set.

adandd44

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
If the computer posts with all other components and the original memory but fails to do so with the new memory, then, by elimination, the new memory is highly suspect. All other things being constant.

Do you have access to another computer where you could try the new RAM?

Do you have access to additional RAM that you could try in your computer. Maybe borrow RAM from a family member or friend?

Agree with @PC Tailor - RMA the memory and try again with a new set.
For some reason I couldn't seem to reply to the post but I figured it out! When I enabled the XMP Profile the dram frequency in the Ai Tweaker was set to 2133mhz. I wouldn't have thought this would be an issue however seemingly after taking the new ram out of the pc and replacing it with the old ram to access the bios I realised the frequency speed was set higher than the value I had in the first place. Thank you for all the help!