[SOLVED] Computer will not post, just got a replacement mobo HELP!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kyriim

Reputable
Oct 12, 2019
I built my computer a few days ago, put everything in booted it up went to bios and changed my ram speed, from 2133 to 3200, then it wouldn’t boot, and the mobo wouldn’t reset with the cmos battery so I sent it in and got a replacement board, got it in today and I boot the pc on and it does the same thing will not post and the onboard speaker will not detect anything it just comes on for about 10 seconds all fans and lights then go right back off until I hold the power button and shut it off. Please anyone I’m begging for help

Solution
See how you go with the new ram. If no good, rma the mobo. If still no good, consider focusing on a cpu replacement.

Kyriim

Reputable
Oct 12, 2019
So, just saw your other thread. Your reply here, is this in regards to your old board which you had replaced or the new board? Did you get a replacement and do the exact same thing again, setting ram to 3200?
I got a replacement and put it all together and it still wouldn’t post I couldn’t even get back to bios

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Kyriim

Reputable
Oct 12, 2019
You didn't do anything else? No tweaking in the bios correct? Just put board in and press the power button?

Well either you got the same board back, or is faulty, or haven't assembled properly.

See; https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/
Nothing else just assembled and hit the power button, I hear one short beep from the mobo which indicates dram refresh failure, I’ve tried single stick in all slots, both sticks, nothing from what I’ve read and been told that the ram is probably the problem, I have another stick being delivered tomorrow. So I guess I’ll wait and see.

Kyriim

Reputable
Oct 12, 2019
Possibly ram or bent cpu pins or overtight cooler. Bent cpu pin can cause memory issues too as well as cooler on too tight.
Pins are fine I took it out today to check and they all looked fine, the cooler shouldn’t be too tight it doesn’t allow you to over tighten it from what I’ve read
It makes the same beep with or without ram

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, 1 beep memory refresh error as described.

Could be the ram or mobo. How many ram sticks have you got? If have more than 1, bit strange for all to go bad.

Made sure ram stick is properly seated with side latch locked in? A2 second slot is the primary slot for single stick. B2 fourth slot for the second stick.

The cpu 8pin power is connected? Both psu side if modular and mobo yeah?

Kyriim

Reputable
Oct 12, 2019
Yeah, 1 beep memory refresh error as described.

Could be the ram or mobo. How many ram sticks have you got? If have more than 1, bit strange for all to go bad.

Made sure ram stick is properly seated with side latch locked in?

The cpu 8pin power is connected? Both psu side if modular and mobo yeah?
I got two 8gig sticks, I’ve tried them both by their selfs in each slot and still nothing, yeah I’ve pushed them in until the click and made sure they was seated good, yeah 8pin is connected

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah the new ram didn’t fix anything

Wished it helped but didn't think it was going to be that easy.

Could try breadboard the system as you get ready to rma. Have the board on a non conductive surface like a breadboard and test it that way and thoroughly check connections. Even connections such as the cpu heatsink is connected properly to cpu_fan and not system_fan as this will prevent post as well.

Kyriim

Reputable
Oct 12, 2019
Wished it helped but didn't think it was going to be that easy.

Could try breadboard the system as you get ready to rma. Have the board on a non conductive surface like a breadboard and test it that way and thoroughly check connections. Even connections such as the cpu heatsink is connected properly to cpu_fan and not system_fan as this will prevent post as well.
I’m just confused because it did this with the first board too

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I’m just confused because it did this with the first board too

Except settings were changed in the bios on the first board, that's a big difference. Resetting cmos resets bios to default settings and should have worked. Unless you changed other settings and killed the processor. Only you know what you did.

If you rma the board, take photos of all serial numbers to double check the replacement is not the same motherboard.

Last edited:

Kyriim

Reputable
Oct 12, 2019
Except settings were changed in the bios on the first board, that's a big difference. Resetting cmos resets bios to default settings and should have worked. Unless you changed other settings and killed the processor. Only you know what you did.

If you rma the board, take photos of all serial numbers to double check the replacement is not the same motherboard.
I can tell that it wasn’t the same board Bc I have pictures of the old board of some black bad soldering on it and the new one does not have those places. I only changed the color of the RGB and ram speed from 2133 to 3200 and left all the other ram settings on auto

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I can tell that it wasn’t the same board Bc I have pictures of the old board of some black bad soldering on it and the new one does not have those places. I only changed the color of the RGB and ram speed from 2133 to 3200 and left all the other ram settings on auto

Those settings alone would not have broken the board, it is impossible.

Well, there not much else to do except rma the board. Doa does happen.

Kyriim

Reputable
Oct 12, 2019
Those settings alone would not have broken the board, it is impossible.

Well, there not much else to do except rma the board. Doa does happen.
It’s doing the same exact thing as the old one.
when I unplug my hard drive the deep isn’t even there anymore but still doesn’t boot. I’m extremely confused