Computer will not post

Fruitbot

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Hi there folks!

I have tried building my computer using the bread board technique and I cannot get the build to post. It turns on, all the fans and LED's spin for about 1 second, and then they all turn off immediately with no post beeps.

Here is what I am using:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU: Intel i7-3770k
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX750
HSF: Thermax Spire Eclipse II

Now I have a theory that it may be related to my HSF. I am pretty sure that this is not caused by my PSU because it is supplying power and I do not think it is caused by my Motherboard because this is the second motherboard that I have used as I RMA'd the first one thinking that the problem was caused by it.

I have reseated the CPU a couple times and have had the same result everytime. Anyone have any insight as to what may be the problem?

Solution
start will looking to see if the back plat on the cpu is touching anything metal. most heat sinks with back plats have a spacers that stick on to keep the back plate from shorting out. I would also check that you have the 4/8 pin power plugged in. i would also unplug any extra fans and just put one dimm in the a0 or a1 slot what ever the mb vendor says is the first main ram slot. i would also pull the video card. you may not hear a cmos beep code but your looking for to see that the mb stays on longer. you may also want to see online or with the mb vendor what bios will post with that cpu. a lot of mb have new bios out for the new ib cpu. some mb may not post without the new bios intalled. the last thing to look for and it a pain is use...
start will looking to see if the back plat on the cpu is touching anything metal. most heat sinks with back plats have a spacers that stick on to keep the back plate from shorting out. I would also check that you have the 4/8 pin power plugged in. i would also unplug any extra fans and just put one dimm in the a0 or a1 slot what ever the mb vendor says is the first main ram slot. i would also pull the video card. you may not hear a cmos beep code but your looking for to see that the mb stays on longer. you may also want to see online or with the mb vendor what bios will post with that cpu. a lot of mb have new bios out for the new ib cpu. some mb may not post without the new bios intalled. the last thing to look for and it a pain is use a maginfirer and look for bent pins on the cpu and cpu slot on the mb.

Solution

Fruitbot

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
I got it to work. It turns out that I had a short on the back of my motherboard caused by a metal part of my CPU fan's back plate touching the motherboard. Thanks for helping!