Computer will not power on.

potent

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2003
I have just recently moved so the computer may have been through some minor bumps but nothing really harsh. The computer itself is about two hears old with a hard drive probably pushing 4 years old.

I plug the computer into the outlet and turn the power supply switch on. The motherboard LED lights up like usual only there is no way to power the computer up. My first thought was to testthe switch so I unpinned the wires going into the switch and tried to jump start the computer with a flathead screwdriver. Nothing happened. I have also removed the CMOS battery and replaced it probably 30 minutes later and still get no activity. What would be the nextstep in diagnosis? Or what problem is it pointing to? All of the wires seem to be plugged in on the motherboard as well as all drives.

ANY help will be greatly appreciated as this is my own personal computer and the only one I have. I am using a friends to type this ofcourse.

potent

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2003
I have a A-Bit NF7-S 2.0 motherboard.
I have a Soundblaster Audigy 2
GeForce FX5600 Ultra
1 Hard Drive
Two CD-RW Drives one working (well when the computer works ofcourse), and one that is not due to a CD breaking appart inside of it.
I also have a heatsink fan and five case fans w/ LEDs.
I have a Aspire 500watt see through ATX 12V power supply.

How will I be able to tell if something has shorted out. I will be googling this while I also await your response. I appreciate your help!

I have a Aspire 500watt see through ATX 12V power supply.
I had this same unit, powered my fileserver 24x7 for 18 months and it did exactly the same thing

one day I rebooted, it only stayed on for about 30 secs so windows started to boot but suddenly shut down. After some troubleshooting and a few power cycles later it was done and I laid it to rest. I replaced it and all was well.

Of course it only has a 1 year warranty :x

potent

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2003
Dude if you have nothing worth contributing then don't.

Thanks for the help everyone. I just have one more thing to add since I am assuming it is the power supply by now. It just never gave any indication of having any problems before hand except for the time and date being off one day probably a month before the move but never any windows warnings or anything... everything appears to be seated properly so I believe I am going to look into a new powersupply as I feel I may need a larger one anyways like around 600watt. due to slight video and sound problems.

Any suggestions because tigerdirect and newegg would point me back to an Ultra as far as bang for the buck and customer reviews? I do not have a lot of money to spend on this. Under $100- any money I can save the better

Golgo_13

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I plug the computer into the outlet and turn the power supply switch on. The motherboard LED lights up like usual only there is no way to power the computer up.

So your heatsink fan and disks aren't spinning up, correct?

If that's the case then your PSU is shot most likely. If your fans still spin up but you're not getting POST, then try disconnecting power to all your drives and taking out all but 1 stick of RAM then booting.

TRENDING THREADS