Question Computer will not power up

Psutton1160

Prominent
Apr 16, 2022
Hello.
So I decided to upgrade my GPU. Bought a RTX 3060 TI and a new CPU cooler as an added upgrade. Thought it would be a good idea to change the fan first and that taking the mother board out of the case would be the easiest way to do so. When I pulled the old fan off my AMD Ryzen 5 pulled loose with the fan. None of the pins are bent so I cleaned the old thermal paste off and re seated the CPU. New paste and installed the new cooler. Put everything back together with the old GPU ( just in case), turned on the power and the fans ran for a second the turned off. Turned off the power supply and turn on again to the same results. Third time nothing happened at all. I can hit the flash bios button on the motherboard and a light blinks 3 times so I'm guessing it is getting power.
So have I fried my mother board? Is there anything I can try to fix or should I just start over with a new build? Current build is 5 years ish old and I recycled some parts from my build before this. (PSU, GPU). Ifi should just start fresh, can you recommend some mid level components?

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hello.
So I decided to upgrade my GPU. Bought a RTX 3060 TI and a new CPU cooler as an added upgrade. Thought it would be a good idea to change the fan first and that taking the mother board out of the case would be the easiest way to do so. When I pulled the old fan off my AMD Ryzen 5 pulled loose with the fan. None of the pins are bent so I cleaned the old thermal paste off and re seated the CPU. New paste and installed the new cooler. Put everything back together with the old GPU ( just in case), turned on the power and the fans ran for a second the turned off. Turned off the power supply and turn on again to the same results. Third time nothing happened at all. I can hit the flash bios button on the motherboard and a light blinks 3 times so I'm guessing it is getting power.
So have I fried my mother board? Is there anything I can try to fix or should I just start over with a new build? Current build is 5 years ish old and I recycled some parts from my build before this. (PSU, GPU). Ifi should just start fresh, can you recommend some mid level components?
What are your full specs? Please specify the brand and model for the PSU

Psutton1160

Prominent
Apr 16, 2022
I'm going off memory since my computer will not boot. Ryzen 5 2600 I think. GTX960, 600 watt power supply, 16 gig DDR4-3200, can't remember what motherboard but it has tomahawk max on it if that helps.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
try to find a way to test psu or borrow one also some gpu use a 8 pins some other use a 6 and 6 pins for am inimal of 6500 watts for it only .
Think you meant 650 watts😉. That Corsair CX600M doesn’t seem to have a good online reputation anyways, so might want to replace it eventually (especially since it’s around 10 years old).

Psutton1160

Prominent
Apr 16, 2022

Think you meant 650 watts😉. That Corsair CX600M doesn’t seem to have a good online reputation anyways, so might want to replace it eventually (especially since it’s around 10 years old).
Yeah I used the exact same setup it was running before I changed the fan. I did not put in the new card yet. Can you recommend a good PSU? I'll try that first. I'll buy a new one if I start a new build anyway.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Yeah I used the exact same setup it was running before I changed the fan. I did not put in the new card yet. Can you recommend a good PSU? I'll try that first. I'll buy a new one if I start a new build anyway.
That’s why I think it could be the CPU or motherboard. At least you can rule out the power supply if you get a new one. As for recommendations, I haven’t built a new PC in a little while, so I don’t know what is good right now. I’ll let someone else guide you there.

Psutton1160

Prominent
Apr 16, 2022
That’s why I think it could be the CPU or motherboard. At least you can rule out the power supply if you get a new one. As for recommendations, I haven’t built a new PC in a little while, so I don’t know what is good right now. I’ll let someone else guide you there.
Okay. Thanks for the help.

Psutton1160

Prominent
Apr 16, 2022
when you did pull out old cpu cooler did the cpu came with or was still lock in the motherboard base .
Didn't know this was still up. Yes the CPU came unseated from the motherboard.
I actually figured out that the problem was that I didn't know that the power switch, light, etc have specific pins that they have to go on the mother board. Apparently it won't boot if they are just plugged in randomly (correct pins just not in the right order). Got that corrected and it booted right up. New GPU is in now and I have been playing Death Standing most of the day.

Psutton1160

Prominent
Apr 16, 2022
Didn't know this was still up. Yes the CPU came unseated from the motherboard.
I actually figured out that the problem was that I didn't know that the power switch, light, etc have specific pins that they have to go on the mother board. Apparently it won't boot if they are just plugged in randomly (correct pins just not in the right order). Got that corrected and it booted right up. New GPU is in now and I have been playing Death Standing most of the day.
Hope my mistake helps someone else some day.