Question Computer Will Not Start At All. Was Working Fine Last Night

SilverDirewolf

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
My 5-year old computer was working fine last night. I kept getting the incessant Windows 10 Update prompts, and kept pushing it back an hour. I come back after making dinner to find the computer is now off, so I assumed it just did the update while I was away. I try and turn on the computer this morning, but absolutely nothing happens. There's no brief start up and crash, no blue screen, no noise of any parts starting up at all.

I have been trying to fix this for a while now, but nothing seems to work. I tried the following, along with other solutions (Nothing means that there is nothing at all, no noise, or brief start up):

Switch the "Reset" and "Power" button to see if it will start. -> Nothing

Use a screwdriver to short the pins to start the computer -> Nothing

Started the PSU by connecting the green and adjacent black wire in the part that plugs into the Motherboard -> Works, the PSU starts up, so I do not think it's a PSU issue

Removed GPU and second stick of RAM -> Nothing

Replaced the CMOS battery (followed by removing the CMOS battery for 5+ minutes and putting it back) -> Nothing

The parts are as follows:

PSU: Corsair CX500
GPU: MSI TwinFrozr
MOBO: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
CPU: Unsure
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengence 4Gb

The above specs are from what I can see, apologies if I got the name wrong.

Is there any fix to my issue? Was it due to the Windows 10 update? Having a computer die is never great, but it has come at the worst time, as I have serious deadlines coming up.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Started the PSU by connecting the green and adjacent black wire in the part that plugs into the Motherboard -> Works, the PSU starts up, so I do not think it's a PSU issue
This only verifies the PSU can start up, not that it is functioning normally. As it may not be delivering the correct or stable output to POST for example.

Use a screwdriver to short the pins to start the computer -> Nothing
This is probably indicating what the problem could be - so you shorted the power pins on the MB and nothing happened at all?

Is there any fix to my issue? Was it due to the Windows 10 update?
Highly unlikely, due to above. If shorting the MB does nothing, you've got hardware to blame, not Windows.

Bets would likely be MB at that point, or PSU. Have you got another system to test the PSU on? Or another PSU to try out?

Is your CX500 green label or grey label?

SilverDirewolf

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
Thank you for the quick response.

This only verifies the PSU can start up, not that it is functioning normally. As it may not be delivering the correct or stable output to POST for example.
But the PSU would at least start up if the MB was ok, right?

This is probably indicating what the problem could be - so you shorted the power pins on the MB and nothing happened at all?

Correct, nothing happens.

Bets would likely be MB at that point, or PSU. Have you got another system to test the PSU on? Or another PSU to try out?

No, I unfortunately don't have other hardware to test as a control.

Is your CX500 green label or grey label?

Green, I believe. Atleaast the "CX" on the label is green.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
But the PSU would at least start up if the MB was ok, right?
No. No way of telling without testing each individually and PSUs and MB are both the hardest to test.

Correct, nothing happens.
In which case I'd be more inclined to believe the MB is at fault here.

Green, I believe. Atleaast the "CX" on the label is green.
That's correct - the green label are the older poorer units, it's why when people recommend the CX, they recommend the grey label ones. So this could also be a culprit, but I would look at MB first based on the fact that shorting the MB literally doesn't make a thing twitch.