[SOLVED] Computer will not start, faulty motherboard?

Sep 5, 2019
So I just put together a PC and when I try to boot it nothing happens. No fans spin, no light, or display. I've tried the PSU power test with the paper clip and it works fine. I'm leaning to assuming the mb might be faulty?
The specs are
Ryzen 3 3200g
2x8gb corsair ram
Asus rtx 2060
Seasonic 550w focus gold
Msi x470 gaming plus max

Edit: when I connect the GPU does have a little light while plugged in. But there are no indications the motherboard seems to work.

Last edited:
Solution
No, I'm not quite sure what breadboarding the case is actually. I do want to try remounting it on the standoffs though just to be thorough and safe. So in reference to the title, when is it safe to assume a motherboard in question is just dead on arrival?

Well, after you've breadboarded it.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...wn-to-the-basics-for-troubleshooting.1848255/

Though presumably after you've gone down each part of this checklist that is stickied for POST issues. By which I mean doing every single thing again, not looking at the list and saying "yup, I did that."...

popatim

Titan
Did you breadboard this outside of the case first and have it work?
If yes, then take it apart and look for something beneath the motherbd that might be shorting it out. Misplaced standoff(s) is the usual culprit or sometimes standoffs aren't even installed and a new users will screw the board right down to the motherbd tray but this isn't common.

Sep 5, 2019
Did you breadboard this outside of the case first and have it work?
If yes, then take it apart and look for something beneath the motherbd that might be shorting it out. Misplaced standoff(s) is the usual culprit or sometimes standoffs aren't even installed and a new users will screw the board right down to the motherbd tray but this isn't common.

No, I'm not quite sure what breadboarding the case is actually. I do want to try remounting it on the standoffs though just to be thorough and safe. So in reference to the title, when is it safe to assume a motherboard in question is just dead on arrival?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Well, after you've breadboarded it.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...wn-to-the-basics-for-troubleshooting.1848255/

Though presumably after you've gone down each part of this checklist that is stickied for POST issues. By which I mean doing every single thing again, not looking at the list and saying "yup, I did that."

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1285536/

Solution

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
So I just put together a PC and when I try to boot it nothing happens. No fans spin, no light, or display. I've tried the PSU power test with the paper clip and it works fine. I'm leaning to assuming the mb might be faulty?
The specs are
Ryzen 3 3200g
2x8gb corsair ram
Asus rtx 2060
Seasonic 550w focus gold
Msi x470 gaming plus max

Edit: when I connect the GPU does have a little light while plugged in. But there are no indications the motherboard seems to work.

Are you sure that you plugged the front panel i/o cables correctly? I would double check to make sure that they are in fact plugged in correctly. After doing that I would remove the cmos battery for about 5 or 10 minutes then put the battery back in. I would also check that the i/o switch on the back of the psu is not in the wrong position. I would also make sure that the ram modules are in A2 and B2 (meaning the 2nd and 4th slots). Once all this has been done, I would try to start the computer.

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
If none of the above works - and you have access to an earlier series of Ryzen processor - remove the new Ryzen processor and replace it with the old one. If it boots into bios, flash your x470 to the most recent final bios update - avoid flashing a beta bios. An MSI beta bios will say beta in the name. . Beta bioses are problematic. Make sure that you didn't bend any pins on the cpu.