Computer will not turn on with 2 sticks of RAM

Walker56

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Last month my computer would not turn on except for a few seconds and then would shut off immediately only to turn itself back on and shut off. I figured it was my power supply so I replaced it and my computer began to boot normally.

About a week ago my computer would randomly turn off while I was in the middle of doing something. This morning I woke up and my computer had shut itself off and when I went to boot it again, but wouldn't recognized my monitor. So I figured my graphics card was shot, but I figured I'd try removing a stick of ram to see if I just had bad RAM -> It booted. I thought "great I figured it out" but I wanted to make sure it "bad ram" so I stuck the ram back in and pulled the other one out. It booted as well. So I put them both back in and now my computer won't boot with both sticks in and its back to doing what it originally was doing a month ago (powering up only to shut itself off)

>_>

ATI Radeon HD 5770
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i5 2400(3.10GHz)
4GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB

Full computer info at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227321

bryanl

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
I would test with 2 sticks of different RAM since it's possible you have low quality memory that's barely worked, which is common with sticks covered with heat spreaders, even the major brands. A change in a voltage or the temperature can affect poor RAM, as can changes in the software configuration, even updates.

DIMM slots can fail, usually by corrosion, but reseating the sticks several times may help.

Walker56

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Well... I took my video card out... blew the dust off of it and plugged it back in. Then I put all the ram back in. It turn on... and booted up. Now my computer shuts off in the middle of games on its own

Walker56

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
So I ran memtest and it ran for 2 hours before I went to bed; about 8 tests in no errors were found (3 passes), but when I woke up my screen as at the login for windows so I don't know if it found any errors or how many tests it ran. (then I logged in, walked away, and my computer had restart itself)

I went to crucial.com and looked up my memory for the gigabyte mother board and my memory doesn't seems to be fine for it.

I also watch my core temps and they never got above 61C

As over as cleaning the edge connectors; how should I do that?

When I get home I'm gunna check the memory speed on the chips and check it with bios.

Walker56

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
<_> I just replaced it last month

so I tried cleaning the edge connectors with an erase but still it turns itself off

oddly however, once it starts to turn itself off during games it does it more frequently once I turn it back on and load the game back up. But when running core temp it never reads higher than 63C