Question Computer will only boot in Safe mode. Best way to troubleshoot?

Lands

Commendable
May 22, 2020
Hi everyone,

I could really use some guidance. Woke up to find the computer screen looked pixelated and locked up. When I reboot, the window logos comes up for five seconds or so and then the computer sounds like it essentially stops booting and goes to a black screen.

I am able to boot into safe mode and safe mode with networking. I've tried a few of the basic repair tools there, but not really sure the best way to approach this. I'd really like to not have to reinstall Windows if possible.

So.... what should I do? :) I remember dealing with a similar issue back in the day and I think you'd do something when booting that would show you what the computer was choking on. Not sure if that's what should be done here - I"m open to your guidance.

Thanks very much for your help.

LB

Lands

Commendable
May 22, 2020
UPDATE: Oh no! Now it won't reboot in safe mode or safe with networking. I can get to the blue screen that gives me tall the various options, including the mode to reboot in, but now it goes to the black screen after rebooting.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the PC?

So since you can get to safe mode, does that mean its loading as far as the logon screen sometimes?

To give you a more consistent way into safe mode:

in the blue screen menu, go to Troubleshoot/advanced/command prompt
Enter these BOLD commands and press ENTER after each.

(Note the colon after C with no space; then the spaces which are important - one after T before / & T before { & } before B & Y before L)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY

EXIT

You are back to the boot screen -> Shutdown the computer.

Boot back up and "immediately" start tapping F8 (That means power button - then F8).

Hopefully that should get you into Safe Mode.

it could be your GPU drivers or card itself that is at fault.