[SOLVED] Computer will only start again if it rested the amout of hours that i used it

Jul 2, 2020
So, my computer started to show some problems.I was trying to fix it but i coud not find any answer so i tried to use it with this problem. And i noticed a particular behavior, the computer would only turn on again if it rested the exactly amount of time that i used it. For example: if i use it for 20h and turn it off, i would only be able to turn it on again after 20h or so. It is pretty strange i know.

Every time i press the power button before the time that the computer takes to "rest" the coolers both from cpu and computer case will work as well as the one from the graphic card and that little light by the the power button wont light up, and it will not boot.

For me that emplies that the problem is not the PSU.

When i can start my computer, it will work perfectly, i can play any game for the whole day, that it wont show any problem.

Thank you in advance !!!

hope we can solve this.

Solution
Thank you for the answer.

I was thinking that i could be a software problem since the computer works perfectly when i can start it, right now i am using it and i could do so the entire day without any problem, the problem comes when i turn it off that i need to wait a lot of time you know?
You description is typical of a psu problem. My understanding is if a psu’s capacitors are unable to discharge properly when switched off you have to wait for them to slowly discharge before the psu will switch on again. When you switch on the system there is no software running. This sounds like a hardware fault and I’d expect psu but possibly motherboard. If you want to categorically rule out software then update/reinstall the BIOS and...
Normally having to leave the pc for a period of time before it will power on is a psu problem. It’s feasible that it’s still a psu problem but maybe on the 3.3v or 5v rails but the 12v rail that supplies the fans is still working. Just a theory but if my system Is start with a new psu. If it’s not the psu I would try a different motherboard.

Reactions: iYagoMR
Jul 2, 2020
Normally having to leave the pc for a period of time before it will power on is a psu problem. It’s feasible that it’s still a psu problem but maybe on the 3.3v or 5v rails but the 12v rail that supplies the fans is still working. Just a theory but if my system Is start with a new psu. If it’s not the psu I would try a different motherboard.

I was thinking that i could be a software problem since the computer works perfectly when i can start it, right now i am using it and i could do so the entire day without any problem, the problem comes when i turn it off that i need to wait a lot of time you know?

You description is typical of a psu problem. My understanding is if a psu’s capacitors are unable to discharge properly when switched off you have to wait for them to slowly discharge before the psu will switch on again. When you switch on the system there is no software running. This sounds like a hardware fault and I’d expect psu but possibly motherboard. If you want to categorically rule out software then update/reinstall the BIOS and reinstall Windows.

Solution
I am not following your logic, can you explain how this helps?
As long as there is power hooked up to the PSU, it will supply certain power inputs to the motherboard. When AC power cable disconnected, there is still some residue charge remains in the capacitors on both motherboard and the PSU, so you wait about a minute or two to let it dissipate and then hook it back and start it normally.
If that helps, there are a few things in the PSU and motherboard that can cause your computer not to POST after a regular shutdown. The easy one of them is your 3v battery cell that holds CMOS memory.