Computer will only turn on without CPU in, with the cpu in, all of the fans and lights work for a half second then turn off

Apr 18, 2018
Just got a new motherboard but it will only turn on without the CPU in. What should I do?
Specs are i7 6700k cpu, 1050 gtx gpu, 800w psu, 16gb ram.

Make sure no visible damage to motherboard socket, make sure CPU PWR connected to mainboard headers, pull out GPU (to eliminate 50-70 watts of load, just to see if it powers up with reduced load), and, consider another PSU known good to eliminate that....

Also, drop down to a single stick of RAMin required slot (alternatingly checking each one for differing results)

Apr 18, 2018
I've tried a PSU known to work and checked both sticks of ram.The motherboard shouldn't have any damage since I just received it today, but i'll check. I'll try removing the gpu and see if that works.

Didn't find any damage and removing the GPU didn't work.

Apr 18, 2018

It doesn't support my cpu, guess I should have checked that before getting this motherboard. Should I get a CPU that it does support or just return this one and get a motherboard that supports the CPU I have currently?

I'm going to return the motherboard and get one that does support my CPU, https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z270-GAMING-PRO-CARBON/Overview is the one i'm looking at. Thanks for your help!