Computer without any graphic card, monitor, keyboard, mouse

vincent911

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
after install Win 7 and all softwares that I need on a new motherboard (ASUS Rampage IV, 8x8GB DDR3, i7-3960X, Intel 180GB SSD)
Will that computer boot and run normally if I remove the graphics card, keyboard, and the mouse ?
I want to run that computer 24/7 and access its data by using "Remote Desktop"

vincent911

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

It has to be VERY VERY fast & powerful just to get & process financial data 24/7 so that I can use another equally powerful & fast (Rampage III) to view that data.

Harm Millaard

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Very, very fast and powerful means you have at least a transfer rate over your connection of 700+ MB/s, or around 6 Gbps over you NIC's and switches as a bare minimum. Preferably your backbone would be a multitude of that.

The way you tell it, it makes no sense at all to me. The Rampage IV is way too slow to deliver that kind of network speed. You are better off with an i3 or i5 system, since remote desktop is so terribly slow, that all the power of the 3960X is utterly wasted.

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
you will require at least some kind of graphics card fitted for the PC to work as it will not boot without due to having no onboard GPU.

It sounds like what you need was a proper Xeon or Opteron Server not a Gaming class dekstop setup

vincent911

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Here is my situation :

I want to setup 2 powerful computers on my desk so that computer **A** (Rampage IV+i7-3960X+8x8GB DDR+SSD+Win7U) can specialize in getting financial data (>10K web pages a day) around the world 24x7 then process them (strip off html tags using MKStoolkit, awk, sed, etc.) then save the data in **A**.

computer **B** running 24x7 (Rampage III+Intel x980+6x4GB DDR+SSD+GeForce GT520+RadeonHD5570+Dell U3011 x 2+Win7U) can view that data over the local network connection or local remote desktop.

Currently **B** is doing both of these and I have to reboot **B** in the middle of trading day because, I think, one or more of the web pages or the firefox add-on, or firefox has memory leak (Firefox memory usage > 1,950,300 K). The whole computer become very sluggish when total system physical memory is used 45% to 55% (CPU usage < 10% rarely over 10%) after reboot the memory usage is back down to 20% or so and the computer become very responsive.

I have been waiting for over a month the availability of ASUS HD7970-DC2-3GD5 in HongKong where I live. Since this card can handle, without any adapters, 4 DisplayPort monitors (4 Dell U3011) two DVI monitors (my 2 old Dell 24") I plan to get this card and 2 more Dell U3011 for **B**. My local ASUS distributor has no idea when the HD7970-DC2-3GD5 will be available and do not take advanced order either. I checked with netegg.com this card is out of stock. I figured if netegg.com don't have it then don't bother with other sites that claim they have in stock.

I don't like bookmarks, favorites and never use any of them in my life. I like to open 8 Firefox windows with a total of 80 or so tabs of financial news, data, charts.. and have them all reload every 3 to 5 minutes with "Tab Mix Plus" add-on.

I don't play any games with my computers.

Since I can not live without firefox and those web pages, with this two powerful
computers setup I hope at least I don't have to reboot during the 6-and-1/2-hour trading session. IE, Chrome, Opera are not for me.

I just tried **A** without graphic card, keyboard, and mouse. It won't boot and show me the BIOS setup screen. when have time I might want to play with the BIOS settings to see if I can do it.

My questions are :

1) was anyone able to buy an ASUS HD7970-DC2-3GD5 ?
2) are there any better ways to solve my computer sluggish problems (I have no problems with budget, space, noise, heat)
3) **B** is not in a computer enclosure. It has been on four 3"x3" stylofoam on 4 corners for over a year without any meltdown problem. Five hours ago I moved it on to one 12"x15" white stylefoam from Dell U3011 packing. Did
anyone try this before ? Will/might the Rampage III melt the stylofoam and cause fire ?

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
1) if your talking about this http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/HD7970DC23GD5/
then no I don't have it i do have the reference one

2)OC your CPU to 5.0-5.5Ghz but might have some problem with temp

3)I tried it but I didn't keep it there for more than 4 hours, but so far no problem but I didn't keep that setup any longer as I didn't feel safe. It ight Melt it and cause you problems.

IMO if you can find this the better http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/HD7970DC2T3GD5/

I assume you got a UPS with you already.

I do something similar but not the same and I don't get this much usage
(Firefox memory usage > 1,950,300 K)
even when i turn up a lot of them. even when close to 80 it's far from that usage

The whole computer become very sluggish when total system physical memory is used 45% to 55% (CPU usage < 10% rarely over 10%)

Maybe because I'm using a i7 3960Xbut that's not happening with mine at least not on that level

vincent911

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

============================
I just wake up. It is 9:30AM Sunday morning here in Hong Kong.
I am on the **B** (Rampage III) it is very very sluggish.
I just stopped the "antimalware Service Executable" and it is still very sluggish.
It takes me great efford just to scroll down this page and type these words.
Task Manager :
Process 97; CPU Usage 10%; Physical Memory 34%
Physical Memory (MB)