[SOLVED] Computer won’t boot after new PSU AND GPU

justin_162

Reputable
Jan 3, 2017
Hi all,
So I recently upgraded to a 3070ti FE and with that needed to upgrade my PSU aswell so I got a rm750 from Corsair. The after installing everything I had some trouble booting but turning it off and on got it to boot and it worked fine for a few days. Until last night when I shut it off. As now it turns on but won’t post, my peripherals aren’t turning on, my ram and motherboard light up. My GPU and cpu fans spin. And 2/4 case fans spin. I’ve tried taking out and putting the ram back in. I checked all connections to my PSU and they’re all good. Is this most likely a PSU issue or a mobo? As both were working fine last night

Solution
Don’t have the old GPU As I sold it.
But specs are as follows
I5-8600k
Asus strix z370-e
Hyper 212 evo cooler
T force delta rgb 2400mhz 16gb
3070ti FE
Corsair RM750 psu

also all my fans are now spinning. I’ve done the CMOS battery thing.
When I first installed the new parts it was hard to boot from cold boot but I thought nothing of it but now on its second cold boot it’s not booting. So I don’t think it’s my mobo or anything. Likely going to return the psu
Could you boot with igpu only (dgpu unplugged from pcie slot)? if so try to do this:
  • Unplug the psu power source from wall socket, and cmos battery on motherboard, press power button for 11 seconds, and put everything back except the gpu, and power on the pc, and...
Hi all,
So I recently upgraded to a 3070ti FE and with that needed to upgrade my PSU aswell so I got a rm750 from Corsair. The after installing everything I had some trouble booting but turning it off and on got it to boot and it worked fine for a few days. Until last night when I shut it off. As now it turns on but won’t post, my peripherals aren’t turning on, my ram and motherboard light up. My GPU and cpu fans spin. And 2/4 case fans spin. I’ve tried taking out and putting the ram back in. I checked all connections to my PSU and they’re all good. Is this most likely a PSU issue or a mobo? As both were working fine last night
could you list all the system specs in details, and did you still have the old gpu?

justin_162

Reputable
Jan 3, 2017
could you list all the system specs in details, and did you still have the old gpu?
But specs are as follows
I5-8600k
Asus strix z370-e
Hyper 212 evo cooler
3070ti FE
Corsair RM750 psu

When I first installed the new parts it was hard to boot from cold boot but I thought nothing of it but now on its second cold boot it’s not booting. So I don’t think it’s my mobo or anything. Likely going to return the psu

But specs are as follows
I5-8600k
Asus strix z370-e
Hyper 212 evo cooler
3070ti FE
Corsair RM750 psu

Could you boot with igpu only (dgpu unplugged from pcie slot)? if so try to do this:
  • Unplug the psu power source from wall socket, and cmos battery on motherboard, press power button for 11 seconds, and put everything back except the gpu, and power on the pc, and boot to windows
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors and the chipset in system device (if available) on device manager (should be 6 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

Chipset:
    unknown.png

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update, and load default or optimized settings, find HPET or High Precision Event Timer and disable that , then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot, and connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• plug in the gpu back and install the latest nvidia driver

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Enable hardware accelerated graphics scheduling (available in the latest windows update) in graphics settings and reboot, it should be like this:
    unknown.png

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution

justin_162

Reputable
Jan 3, 2017
  • Unplug the psu power source from wall socket, and cmos battery on motherboard, press power button for 11 seconds, and put everything back except the gpu, and power on the pc, and boot to windows
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors and the chipset in system device (if available) on device manager (should be 6 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

Chipset:
    unknown.png

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update, and load default or optimized settings, find HPET or High Precision Event Timer and disable that , then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot, and connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• plug in the gpu back and install the latest nvidia driver

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Enable hardware accelerated graphics scheduling (available in the latest windows update) in graphics settings and reboot, it should be like this:
    unknown.png

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png
I tried booting without my GPU already and it didn’t work. And I can’t even get into the bios. like my computer did not boot at all on dgraphics or igraphics

I'm thinking the reason it initially worked was because it was using some Windows default display drivers, and after a few days, if you left the PC on, Windows updated your display drivers to something that doesn't work.

Try clearing your CMOS again, and when you try to boot it up afterwards, leave your GPU out, and use your integrated GPU.