Computer won’t boot after switching graphics cards.

Jul 20, 2018
I need to start this off with I am VERY uneducated with computers. Everything I know has come from looking up forums to see how to fix something. So, if anyone here is knowledgeable (and kind) enough to help me, please explain like I’m five.

Alright. I bought a computer from a friend a couple of years ago. At the time, it was a couple of years old. I’m not a serious gamer; I really only bought the computer to run super fancy Skyrim. I in no way regret my decision.

After college, I moved away and to skip a lot of details I wasn’t able to run it much with everything going on. But I was finally in a situation to plug it back in and have some fun. The next day there was no display whatsoever. The CPU started up (audible noises and appropriate lights), but nothing on the display. So I changed the cords (from DVI to HDMI to VGA) and nothing worked. After perusing some forums with similar issues, I figured my graphics card bit the dust. At the time, this made sense to me (please remember I am not educated in this field) because it seemed like it was trying to do its job, but couldn’t. (One fan would start and then die out)

So I finally got around to getting a new graphics card. I asked my computer-savvy friend what I should do with it and he said to unplug, plug, and make sure to install the drivers. So I unplugged the old card and plugged in the new card and started it up. Display, yay! But now it won’t actually start. So I’m at a loss and I don’t even know how to describe the issue, so I’m just going to list random information that may or may not be helpful below. Please help!

Motherboard: Maximus Gene V (a little old, I know)

I can get into BIOS (ROG BIOS screen) just fine, but beyond that I either get BSOD, stuck loading wheel, or loading wheel that goes on forever.

New graphics card: NVIDIA 1080 something

Old graphics card: I don’t remember, but it’s not NVIDIA and it was 980 (960?)

Solution
well its probably the fact that the PSU you have is inadequate get a good quality 650-700watt
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html
Evga g2/g3
Seasonic focus/prime
I would recommend an EVGA SuperNova Gold G2 / or new G3 /GS / GQ, Platinum P2 / PS, or Titanium T2 or a Seasonic M12-II Evo or S12-II
GOOD PSU EVGA is a B2, G2, G3, P2, GS, PS, or T2. Avoid the EVGA B1 and G1 series/ I bought a EVGA G3 with 7year garentee
well its probably the fact that the PSU you have is inadequate get a good quality 650-700watt
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html
Evga g2/g3
Seasonic focus/prime
I would recommend an EVGA SuperNova Gold G2 / or new G3 /GS / GQ, Platinum P2 / PS, or Titanium T2 or a Seasonic M12-II Evo or S12-II
GOOD PSU EVGA is a B2, G2, G3, P2, GS, PS, or T2. Avoid the EVGA B1 and G1 series/ I bought a EVGA G3 with 7year garentee

Solution