Question Computer won’t boot just flashes

May 22, 2020
I finished my pc build and aio instillation and went to boot my computer, but nothing happens except for a spontaneous led flash while holding down power button. I know that the power supply is not the problem because I used a different one and got the same result. I also tried unplugging everything except the cpu power and motherboard power and got the same result. I have also tried without graphics card and it does not make a difference. Also front panel connectors are good.
System specs: evga 1080 gpu
i5 8700k cpu
2 sticks of 8gb corsair vengeance pro ram 3600mhz
EVGA 650w Bronze certified
CPU cooler Corsair H100i

I finished my pc build and aio instillation and went to boot my computer, but nothing happens except for a spontaneous led flash while holding down power button. I know that the power supply is not the problem because I used a different one and got the same result. I also tried unplugging everything except the cpu power and motherboard power and got the same result. I have also tried without graphics card and it does not make a difference. Also front panel connectors are good.
System specs: evga 1080 gpu
i5 8700k cpu
2 sticks of 8gb corsair vengeance pro ram 3600mhz
EVGA 650w Bronze certified
CPU cooler Corsair H100i
Can you go back to old CPU cooler ?

May 22, 2020
It’s going to be difficult because i have an aio installed, but I’ll try it

EDIT: switched back to old cpu cooler, but same result. The only other thing I could think of what it could be is motherboard.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Champion
Ambassador
Sounds like the motherboard is a lemon - though I've only experienced it once: a Z390 Aorus Master - I put the PC together without breadboarding, hit power, it flashes on and right back off.
Breadboarded - same deal. Returned it and got a working board.

May 22, 2020
Sounds like the motherboard is a lemon - though I've only experienced it once: a Z390 Aorus Master - I put the PC together without breadboarding, hit power, it flashes on and right back off.
Breadboarded - same deal. Returned it and got a working board.
I was using this motherboard in my old build, but I hadn’t powered on my computer for probably 2 weeks before switching my case.

Phaaze88

Champion
Ambassador
Already had it in use, huh?
ESD? It probably wouldn't react at all if that were the case.
Maybe there's a short somewhere?
I'd still try breadboarding it if nothing else.

May 22, 2020
I have already breadboarded got same result. I’m thinking that there might be a short some where. Should I try taking the motherboard out of case and booting on a cardboard box?

May 22, 2020
o_O
Running the motherboard outside of the chassis with the bare minimum connections IS breadboarding.
I just breadboarded with motherboard outside of case. I had Cpu power plugged in, motherboard power, cpu fan power, and one stick of ram. Still same result.

Phaaze88

Champion
Ambassador
Do you think it’s safe to go ahead and purchase a new one?
IF it's still under warranty - like, 3 years for most motherboards - I'd try that.

Or do you think I should take it to a computer shop to have someone look at it?
That is also an option. They might find something you didn't.

IDK, flip a coin? They're both valid options, but the first could get you a new board for next to nothing.

May 22, 2020
IF it's still under warranty - like, 3 years for most motherboards - I'd try that.

That is also an option. They might find something you didn't.

IDK, flip a coin? They're both valid options, but the first could get you a new board for next to nothing.
Do you think it’s possible that the motherboard is not the issue? I was planning on upgrading my cpu and motherboard anyway so this rlly isn’t too big of a deal, but I don’t want to upgrade and have the same problem

May 22, 2020
Yeah your right. My only other guess would be psu cables but that’s an easy fix if the new motherboard doesn’t work.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS