[SOLVED] Computer won’t boot with graphics card installed

xLemonZx

Reputable
Jan 31, 2017
Hey everyone, I have a 1060 6GB and it was fine but all of a sudden I went to start my computer up and the monitor turned on but it was just a lit up black screen, I opened the PC and the fans were running on the GPU. I turned off the PC and I plugged the DVI into the onboard graphics and the monitor didn’t even turn in with the 1060 plugged in. I removed the 1060 and the computer booted up just fine. I tried updating bios, booting in safe mode, updating drivers, factory resetting PC and nothing. PLEASE PLEASE help. I been trying to fix for months and can’t figure it out.

GPU - Nivida GTX 1060 6GB
PSU - Corsair GS700
RAM - x2 8GB Evo potenza
MOTHERBOARD - gigabyte GA-z170-HD3
Cpu - intel i5 4670k
1TB hard drive 250GB SSD

Last edited:
Solution
I stated what model my PSU was, but I appreciate the heads up about bumping. I had no idea thank you.
That's a 700Watt PSU, and of decent build quality. While it's not the best it should do the job. It's really old though in terms of topology (CWT based unit released in 2012)

If reseating the connectors doesn't help, then I would say your GPU has bit the dust. Sorry.

Your best bet for a replacement is a 1650 which will run you about $300-$350 give or take IF you can get your hands on one. It's also about 30% slower than your 1060

The 1660's would the closest direct replacement. But getting them at a reasonable price is near impossible.
Hi XlemonZx.

This kind of issue is most of the time a PSU or GPU issue.

I would test the GPU in another system and if it doesn't work then the GPU is faulty. If the GPU works in the other system it's probably the PSU.

It could be the PCIe Slot on the motherboard hence why you test the GPU in another system to be sure.

xLemonZx

Reputable
Jan 31, 2017
Hi XlemonZx.

This kind of issue is most of the time a PSU or GPU issue.

I would test the GPU in another system and if it doesn't work then the GPU is faulty. If the GPU works in the other system it's probably the PSU.

It could be the PCIe Slot on the motherboard hence why you test the GPU in another system to be sure.
Hi, thank you for the reply. I sadly have no possible way to try my GPU in another system :( how would I see if it’s a PSU issue or GPU without trying in another system ?

That said, if you don't have another system to test the card in you are in trouble. There isn't much you can do.

I would make sure the card and the 6pin/8pin PCIe power connectors are firmly seated.

I would also do as others suggest and LIST your PSU model. All PSU's decay with time. Especially one with cheap components, and they are no longer able to provide the clean power necessary for a video card. If you were using a cheap borderline power supply (350-400 Watts) it might have finally died trying to supply power. That wattage is very minimum for a 1060.

BTW: Bumping is kind of a no-no here. Just telling you politely to keep you out of trouble.

xLemonZx

Reputable
Jan 31, 2017
That said, if you don't have another system to test the card in you are in trouble. There isn't much you can do.

I would make sure the card and the 6pin/8pin PCIe power connectors are firmly seated.

I would also do as others suggest and LIST your PSU model. All PSU's decay with time. Especially one with cheap components, and they are no longer able to provide the clean power necessary for a video card. If you were using a cheap borderline power supply (350-400 Watts) it might have finally died trying to supply power. That wattage is very minimum for a 1060.

BTW: Bumping is kind of a no-no here. Just telling you politely to keep you out of trouble.
I stated what model my PSU was, but I appreciate the heads up about bumping. I had no idea thank you.

That's a 700Watt PSU, and of decent build quality. While it's not the best it should do the job. It's really old though in terms of topology (CWT based unit released in 2012)

If reseating the connectors doesn't help, then I would say your GPU has bit the dust. Sorry.

Your best bet for a replacement is a 1650 which will run you about $300-$350 give or take IF you can get your hands on one. It's also about 30% slower than your 1060

The 1660's would the closest direct replacement. But getting them at a reasonable price is near impossible.

Solution

xLemonZx

Reputable
Jan 31, 2017

What do you mean by reseating the connectors?
Dang that sucks 😭 I’m in a hardship right now and was actually trying to fix it to sell it :/
Thanks buddy.

What do you mean by reseating the connectors?
Dang that sucks 😭 I’m in a hardship right now and was actually trying to fix it to sell it :/
Thanks buddy.

Unplug the PCIe power cable, and then plug it back in, making sure they are firmly seated in the socket.

I'm sorry you have fallen on bad times. Given the 4 series or possibly 7 series Intel processor, you MIGHT be able to get $300 (USD) give or take without the graphics card. A brand new equivalent baseline system, which is considerably faster would be in the $650->$700 range. It would consist of AMD 3400g (4 core-8 thread), 8 gigs ram, 550W PSU

Last edited:

xLemonZx

Reputable
Jan 31, 2017
Unplug the PCIe power cable, and then plug it back in, making sure they are firmly seated in the socket.

I'm sorry you have fallen on bad times. Given the 4 series or possibly 7 series Intel processor, you MIGHT be able to get $300 (USD) give or take without the graphics card. A brand new equivalent baseline system, which is considerably faster would be in the $650->$700 range. It would consist of AMD 3400g (4 core-8 thread), 8 gigs ram, 550W PSU
Alright man, I appreciate it.